Metal fuel tanks?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaso

Hi all, I'm just about to have a go at making my own metal tank for my new rigger and was wondering what sort of design I should use as far as a surge tank/compartment inside the tank? I have a few ideas but wondering if there is any thing I should avoid to stop surging problems when the fuel starts to get down in the tank.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. :D

I am not doubting your abilities to make a metal tank.

But for the BS of doing it yourself.

Grimme makes great metal tanks, and for the price, I dont think its worth messing with making one. You need to be sure its sealed. and the pick up and vent tubes are in the right spot.

my .02 worth

Tom

Mike Z builds in inner surge tank in his fuel cell. I've never had any problem with his tanks. ;)

Bill

If you are stuck on making one at least use the soft brass tubing and not the regular stuff. The regular will crack in a short time. Also use silver solder. To answer your question though, the surge tank is just a tank within the tank. But it ain't worth the trouble to do it yourself.

I doubt you going to find any secrets from the guys who build them. Easiest way is to take one apart. But then you have just ruined a perfectly good tank. Oh well, just buy from Mike Z. or Allen Terry. The both build great tanks.

Mike

Latest posts

Back