Metal Fuel Tanks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Templeton

Just had a very unhappy first day of testing for the year and it all boiled down to grime on the inside of my Grim metal fuel tank.

I always fill the tank with alcohol and WD 40 the outside when not in use. Obviously this doesn't work. Can someone tell me what to fill the tank with when not in use!

THank's

Don :huh:

I use acetone thinner& cleaner and I keep to run fuel pump with fuel filter"flush" old can 500 ml ( recycle to metal tank) during about 2 to 3 min If you can see dirt liquid from green mold or black pieces etc. Thats great clean Good Luck! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use denatured alcohol. Cleans and Dries everything very well
Maybe that's my problem. I'm using normal isopropyl alcohol 91%. Where do you get the denotured? Do you just fill the tank up with it and let it sit over the winter? No additive like oil ar anything?

I'm sorry Allen, I just can't understand exactly what you're saying but thank you for the reply.

Don ;)

I use denatured alcohol. Cleans and Dries everything very well
Maybe that's my problem. I'm using normal isopropyl alcohol 91%. Where do you get the denotured? Do you just fill the tank up with it and let it sit over the winter? No additive like oil ar anything?

I'm sorry Allen, I just can't understand exactly what you're saying but thank you for the reply.

Don ;)
The hardware store's "paint section" will have what your looking for

Don :blink: Sorry :huh: Ok First Fill up acetone (2 cup) into measure cup glass and take pick up( fuel filter) from cup glass to fuel pump to metal tank " in " (Carb) then "out" (Exhaust) into measure cup glass. Keep to run Flush about 2 to 3 minute Will you can see any dirt liquid from green mold , brown rust or black small pieces onto measure cup glass when finish flush out empty(tank) then put "U" silcone fuel tube "in" and "out" on metal tank. Never put drop any oil into tank through sit over the winter so just put some grease swirl finger outside body tank for prevent rust. Clear understand :rolleyes:

I don't do anything to my tanks...guess I am lucky. I have been running the same tanks in my scale for 5 years. I just pull the fuel out of the tanks and leave sit.

Brian

Me too, I dont do anything but drain them out, if anything a squirt of wd 40 on the outside. I do store all my boats inside, in the basement.

Flushing the tank into a bottle to check for junk is a good idea, and using a good fuel filter that can be checked and cleaned.

"OK" I have flushed the tank out about four times and am now seeing no deposits at all in the bottom of a clear glass. Should I keep the silicone fuel tube on it or let it have some air.

Don

I always close the fuel tank off with a piece of fuel tubing. I feel like what every I leave in the tank will stay the same as when I put it in there. Been doing this for over twenty years and have never had a problem.

Mark

After thinking about this, wouldn't it be better to just take the fuel out and leave it go? In my opinion, if you clean the inside out and remove the oil, it will rust. Just an observation. Phil and I have not had any problems with this "lazy" method.

Brian

I had the same trouble with one but it was new and had been sitting for a couple of years before I got to using it. To fix it I ended up filling it with WD-40 shaking then I took a fuel pump with a filter inline and just recycled the WD-40 through the tank to get the big stuff out. After that I filled and flushed with WD-40 then alcohol until it no longer looked rust colored, I finished up with WD-40. Now every time I get done running for the day I drain the tanks then squirt WD-40 in shake it a bit and drain the WD-40. I also used WD-40 on the outside of the tank. So far this method has worked well for me. The thin coating of WD-40 that is left in the tank is insignificant to the amount of fuel that is added to the tank when you fill it back up.

I really feel that some sort of oil would be good for the inside of the tank and then empty it out leaving only the residue. Then clean out with alcohol real well before filling it with nitro. Wouldn't there be a better choice than WD-40 to coat the insides.

These tanks are expencive, very hard to make and without Grim I'm not sure what I can do because my soldering leaves a lot to be desired.

I really feel that some sort of oil would be good for the inside of the tank and then empty it out leaving only the residue. Then clean out with alcohol real well before filling it with nitro. Wouldn't there be a better choice than WD-40 to coat the insides.
These tanks are expencive, very hard to make and without Grim I'm not sure what I can do because my soldering leaves a lot to be desired.

The oil in your fuel should be enough, after methenol and nitro are evaporated.

I have started using outboard motor fogging oil available in sray cans . after a very cold weather problem with oil coagulation into a filter blocking mung , I now flush the tanks with brakekleen before running . I know a lot of guys have had zero problems just leaving fuel in them but I just can't do it ! It took too long to build the tanks I have and too much cash (although the price was fair ) to buy the tanks I have bought !!

I have started using outboard motor fogging oil available in sray cans . after a very cold weather problem with oil coagulation into a filter blocking mung , I now flush the tanks with brakekleen before running . I know a lot of guys have had zero problems just leaving fuel in them but I just can't do it ! It took too long to build the tanks I have and too much cash (although the price was fair ) to buy the tanks I have bought !!
I don't have any fuel left in tank after draining them, if I shake the tank, there's nothin

left. Could be lines in tank don't empty totally?

Latest posts

Back