Lynx cut Octura X442 on OPC VS1

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tunnel Boaters,

That is a lot of propeller on a O.S. outboard in it's stock configuration.

We have had outstanding results recently with a Octura M-440 Lynx-Cut

and an ABC 40 x 53 Lynx-Cut, both with reduced cup on the trailing edge

at .7 radii. The O.S. motor does not respond very well to a lot of trailing edge

cup. Most of these 40 to 42 mm propellers have between 3.60" to 3.91" of cup

in them out of the package. If you reduce the cup to 2.90" to 3.33" you will see

a rather significant lap time change in heat racing set up.
default_smile.png

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Well i am no prop wizard i have no fancy tool to say what radi an what pitch it is but man my X 442 sure does run extremly GOOD on my lynx, must be the water down here in the south. Oh an my os sure does like.

Kevin,

If you reduce the diameter, and give it a Lynx-Cut and remove some of the stock cup it is a great blade.

The Lynx-21 Tunnel does like the M-440 with a Lynx-Cut at 3.33" of cup or a 40 x 53 with a Lynx-Cut at

3.21" of cup.

Kevin what is the diameter on your X-442? 38 mm? I doubt you are swinging a full 42 mm? Stock motor?

By the way, I would bet you the new ABC 1515-19-38% will be much better when it comes out of Columbus,

Ohio pretty soon. Right now the 1515-17-45% will out run the X-442 stock blade on a 21-Lynx Tunnel set up.

Just a little new propeller update from ABC by the way.
default_smile.png

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I made a mistake by not giving enough information. I'm running my Vs1 with a brushless motor. It's a Dynamite 3660 2000kv motor on 4s batteries. Any suggestions. I'd especially pleased to hear what what Mark has to say.

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

I am not an electric model boater, but I am sure I have some good new

ABC propellers that would work VERY WELL on that boat.

I would start with the 1515-17-45% and work up from there depending

on the heat it generates on the motor and ESC. A lot of my electric customers

do not share their set ups with me because I am not running electric set ups.

What are you running now on the boat?

Interesting Topic,

Mark Sholund

Call me if you have any questions: 231-590-3023

Last edited by a moderator:
On your FE VS-1 I would recommend a Grimracer 42X55, X442,X462 and M445 cut to 42-43mm diameter. 42X55 and 442 will give you run time and 445 for top end.

Mic

Kevin,

The new propellers can be cup sensitive, if you ran them stock out of the bag

I could understand the difference. I would not cut these new propellers down

too much, it changes the chord length of the blade. Go up or down with diameter

or pitch ratio if needed. This is what is taking Jim so long to make all these different

options of sizes and pitch ratios. When this is complete it will be much easier to adjust

the propellers to your set up, plus we will have a complete set of propellers in all the right

sizes, shapes, and designs. I would bet you missed a whole series of new ABC propellers

called the SKL-Series that is made for electric and Nitro boats?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I have a 42 X 55 that looks pretty good. I got it with the boat. (bought it used) I'm going to give it a try and see how I can get to run. It seems like it would be a good all around prop. I know I have the lower unit too low. I'm going to raise up some and see how it goes.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

It was suggested to me by one of the best electric boaters in the country

that he likes a 1715-17-45% on that set up. I am not an electric guy at all,

but the specs sure look good at 43 mm approximate diameter. Kevin you

may want to try one also. I have plenty in stock as we run them on 21-Hydros.

Thanks For Reading Fellas,

Mark Sholund

Electrics will take a lot more pitch than the nitros but the daimeter has to be smaller, I run a m445 on my spec tunnel, for heat racing. When one drives by me Ill consider getting one for now Ill stick to what i got.

Mark,

I'll take one of those 1715-17-45% props. Please balance and sharpen and work your magic on it. Send me your PP address and I'll send you the money. Ran the boat yesterday and today with the 42X55 and got it up to 47 mph with pretty good handling. Played around with shaft height and COG. That was about the best I got. I have not played with shaft angle as yet. Ran out of time and charged batteries.

Regards,

Bob

Latest posts

Back