LPLV mini spray gun and a cheap pancake compressor!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Thanks to my buddy Tom Foley for his input! It worked great on a old beat up .20 PaynPak that i kinda rebuilt! North Star automotive paint is very user friendly and works well too!

Attachments

• IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Gee Bill, maybe I should send my Pak to you and let you paint it. I doubt I could get mine to look that good:eek:
1710421129198.png
It's a little different from yours, being somewhat wider across the engine bay and cowl top but what the heck ;)

Last edited:
Michael, I just bought a new "touchup" gun. Paasche
https://www.paascheairbrush.com/HG-08
the 3 oz cup is a "honest" size.. (meaning you have to be MINDFULL of your actions)

A 4 oz would be nicer. (I suspect I can update it).. what I really wanted was the .08 tip.. DONT GO OVER 1mm or your just going to be wasting a bunch of paint.

I have a SUPER CHEAP Harborjunk unit with a .06 tip.. and truth is I DO LIKE IT.. but.. it hard to get "GOOD" quality from that system

Painted with the .06.. (note this heli is 6 feet long)

Grim

Attachments

• IMG_6815.JPG
    IMG_6815.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
What brand and model of gun did you use? I would be nice to have a gun to bridge the gap between course airbrush and full blow automotive gun.

What brand and model of gun did you use? I would be nice to have a gun to bridge the gap between course airbrush and full blow automotive gun.
Hi Mike, I got it on Amazon for 37 bucks! It works really good! It actually sprays as good as a Devillbis i bought on sale a while ago! Its called a mini gun!

Attachments

• IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2486.JPG
    IMG_2486.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I haven't painted a sport boat (lots of surface area) in some time... It's been rigger sponsons and cowlings up to F sized (SlingShot). My Paasche VL with #5 needle and a 3oz jar gets me by. I like the ease of the airbrush and clean up isn't horrible. I will say though, shooting clear on the center tub of the F boat was long and tedious, but it got the job done. The airbush is nice for the tight corners/areas, but it can take a few passes to see it truly 'wet out'. Although, on the positive, it helps me from laying too much and getting a run.

In a perfect world, I would like 3 guns that have the detail of the airbrush, but can lay out slightly more material.

Primer - 4-8oz cup
Pigment - 3-6oz cup
Clear - 3-6oz cup

Now that I say that, I would likely still keep a couple VL's around too I guess for repairs or small 1-2 parts.

I've been looking at https://www.midwestairbrush.com/collections/sprayguns recently. They have many options for smaller HVLP guns. Don't really know what the major differences are on all of them 'paralyzation n by analyzation'

You did a nice job on it Mark! Looks good!
If you saw the first one I did, back in 1982, you wouldn't have thought that. It was terrible, to put it mildly. There were gaps between the skin and frames that were just awful, the drive system was so under-powered it couldn't even get up on plane and I won't even go into how bad the paint job looked.

If you saw the first one I did, back in 1982, you wouldn't have thought that. It was terrible, to put it mildly. There were gaps between the skin and frames that were just awful, the drive system was so under-powered it couldn't even get up on plane and I won't even go into how bad the paint job looked.
All part of the learning process! My first Pak had an .O.S .20 FP airplane engine with a Cool Clamp and I had the same problem. no power! It just chugged along, so i stuck a K&B 3.5 Inboard Marine in it and then she was happily on step throwing a nice rooster tail LOL!!

I bought this one on Amazon after reading reviews etc… It is LVLP:

https://a.co/d/dvAkWQP

I believe it did a great job but I had way too much paint flowing and got a couple runs which was my inexperience . Overall it sprays real nice. I sprayed clear with the 1.3 tip. It would probably work with a pancake compressor. Most of those Porter Cable type compressors will get you 3.5-4.0 scfm or so at 30 psi which is enough. From an air supply standpoint you’d probably do better with a larger compressor, maybe 10-25 gallon. Anyway, for 225.00 you could have separate guns for primer, color, clear for not a lot of money. I used Harbor Freights Spectrum Paint Cup System and liked it. It saved a lot of cleanup and it’s cheap.

Who did you end up purchasing your North Star paint from? Not seeing any web vendors that have sites with color chips to select colors.
Hey Bill! Fortunately for me there is an automotive finishing supplies shop about 10 miles from me that carries North Star paints and primers..............I have ordered some North star reducer on line but i cant remember the web site i got it from!

This HF Black Widow 0.7 is an awesome 2K clear coat gun....albeit expensive. Parts are readily available....$175
59825_W6.jpg
For 2K primer and tint coat this HF cheapo unit does real well....$25
56982_W3.jpg

We run a very long hose to gang box w/ trap, and short line to gun thereafter....stabilizes temperature and gives a noticeably improved finish.

Happy Sprayin', fellers!

Back