looking for a good all around test boat for props

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd-props

I am in need of wisdom. (And money too, but we'll stick to what I may actually get)

I want to get a test boat for the props I am doing. I would like to be able to test many sizes and pitches. Top speed is not the goal here. Just a boat that will not over rev a smaller prop and is still capable of spinning a large prop without burning up the motor. I want to measure differences between similar props to see which props do better with various applications of different processes. Even if the speed is much slower with a larger prop, the comparison to a similar prop should show me if I am headed in the right direction.

Inboard, outboard, tunnel, v hull, 3.5,7.5 :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I would prefer to keep the dollars within 500 or so but I am clueless about which boat and/or type of boat to get.

I am clueless about the props too, but one thing at a time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your help,

Steve

I'm no prop expert but I do believe what you are proposing really wont tell you much. The reason is the prop and hull are so interdependent on each other . A prop that works well on one boat may not work worth a darn on another of similar design, let alone a different hull classification all together. I hope some of the prop gurus (Andy B. ,Mark A., Mark G....) will chime in on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

Eric is correct. However, if you are looking to compare various propellers for a particular appliction, say 3.5 Outboard Tunnel, I might be able to help you there. I known a guy who has designed a few 3.5 OB tunnels.

JD

Jerry,

I have no preferance really, but I would like to use a very "popular" size and style of boat so that if I am (someday :D ) able to hammer out a good prop that there is more than a couple guys who may be able to use it. Jerry Wyss suggested a 7.5 O.B. tunnel. I would certainly give any suggestion you had proper consideration.

.....Perhaps there may be a vintage (dont take that too personaly.... :) ) JD tunnel for sale somewhere....

steve

Steve,

I would suggest a 21 tunnel hull. The Villian or the TopSpeed are very reasonable.

You can do a lot of prop work for a tunnel hull. The only problem with the 45 tunnel

is that it is not that popular anymore, at least in the Midwest where you live. You

will be able to pick up a TopSpeed 2 very soon at a very good price with a O.S.21

motor. A used 21 mono would be another good choice,a lot of propellers fit on a

21 Mono.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

shoboat said:
Steve,
I would suggest a 21 tunnel hull. The Villian or the TopSpeed are very reasonable.

You can do a lot of prop work for a tunnel hull. The only problem with the 45 tunnel

is that it is not that popular anymore, at least in the Midwest where you live. You

will be able to pick up a TopSpeed 2 very soon at a very good price with a O.S.21

motor. A used 21 mono would be another good choice,a lot of propellers fit on a

21 Mono.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

96793[/snapback]

Mark- those were the first two boats that came to my mind too, but both kinda have "the prop." Monos with the x440/3 and the tunnel with the 1440 b/c. Maybe those could be used as bench marks, but I would worry that with the popularity of those two classes most of the testing has been done. Steve maybe you could be instrumental in developing a new "the prop" for those boats. You will have a great time with either; I just raced both today infact.

Adam

Hey Steve! It Just Hit Me! I have a O.S.21XM that I can trade you for some of the

work your doing for me,,,It's perfect,,the engine was only run twice before it broke it's "noodle like" flex shaft,,Its has been sitting in its box for,,well,,ever since they came out :huh: I was wondering what I was going to do with it, I've had it for a long time. I have your address, get ready, it's Coming! :)

Oh and it doesn't have the muffler anymore cause I ran it with a pipe from the begining and I cut the "muffler flange" off and "J&B" welded some header tubing to the flange. I'm sure somebody has a muffler out there for it if they run better with one,,"JD" could tell you more about the engine than I can. If Jerry thinks the

motor would be better with a pipe I have an old Irwin "J" without silencer thats out of a job in my stable,,Heck I'll just send that to you with the motor. :D

Back