Lipo glow plug ignighters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Wood

I took the plunge a few months ago and purchased a Lipo glow plug ignighter. I have only used it twice it failed the next time I used it. I contacted Dynamite and they said they would replace it. I called on Monday morning and I received on Tuesday. I know that a couple of our club members had some problems with theirs as well. I will however still keep my trusty hot shot 2 handy after hearing some of the horror stories I have heard. Just thought you guys would like to know.

Back when I was flying UC planes I used to see guys take 2 D cell alkaline's and just wire them parallel with a clip or ignitor plug. These things would last a year or two before dying. True 1.5 volts, no circuitry to die and you can make several for the price of a cheap lipo setup or even a good nimh starter.

I bought the same glow starter,.. the lipo,.. no trouble so far.. probably about 15 starts on it though.. working well so far though..

I'm on my second year with one. I charged it when I bought it last year and once at he beginning of this year, still going strong. I know a few people who have had problems, but found out they were trying to quick charge it or the plug connecter was full of oil. Once they charged it the way the instructions said to and kept the connector clear of crud all of their problems went away.

DonB

I usually leave it plugged in... hope that's not wrong. The instructions say that when the charging light goes off it's charged and it stops charging the battery.

I build my own, a 5500mah cell, just reused it after 10years, I am going to build another one I use D size Nicad you can get them for $4 and just add your glow start to it, last a very long time.

I decided to stick with "low tech", a Hanger 9 nicad ignitor with votage guage. Too few starts on it to know how it's going to hold up but, for the price, it's a nice accessory

Last edited by a moderator:
This year I will go with a 10000mah D size NiMH

That should last a while

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving my Dynamite LiPo starter. Followed the instructions, its not let me down at all yet. Have about 40 starts on it.

Tim

Back