Large scale electric?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

A friend of mine recovering from kimotherapy and surgery to remove part of his esouphogus needed a project. His name is Ron Baker and is an OPC record holder and one of the best V-bottom drivers ever. Ron is 70 and will still be drag racing his Hydrostream till he can't get in it anymore. That may be quite a while.

Anyway I gave him a Zipkit EZ Vee to build. He finished it and now he wants to power it. Gas is an option but FE would fit in better in his neighborhood community canal. (noise) Anyone got any sugestions on making a large FE mono? Not to race but we want it on plane. Gear reduction to turn larger props? Looking for hardware that is availiable from normal hobby suppliers. Ideas and sugestions welcome. Money always a consideration.

Mic

A friend of mine recovering from kimotherapy and surgery to remove part of his esouphogus needed a project. His name is Ron Baker and is an OPC record holder and one of the best V-bottom drivers ever. Ron is 70 and will still be drag racing his Hydrostream till he can't get in it anymore. That may be quite a while.

Anyway I gave him a Zipkit EZ Vee to build. He finished it and now he wants to power it. Gas is an option but FE would fit in better in his neighborhood community canal. (noise) Anyone got any sugestions on making a large FE mono? Not to race but we want it on plane. Gear reduction to turn larger props? Looking for hardware that is availiable from normal hobby suppliers. Ideas and sugestions welcome. Money always a consideration.

Mic
Yes it's doable. I'm not really the guy to talk to. I'll try and shot a few folks this way.

That easy vee is a big boat to do in electric. As in the cost of electric components, battery charger and lipos. It is certainly doable, but costly. What is the budget?? For the motor you would want to look at the NEU Motors (US Made)2200 series. Lipos would have to be minimum 10s, preferably 12 -14S. Esc best bet is the Shultze (European made). Sorry but Castle esc will not cut it. You can get your basic stinger drive and rudder from online dealers such as Offshore Electric ( as they mainly deal with Fast Electric components ) If you get a chance go a search on Offshore electric forum on the Delta Force Sniper hull build. It is a 40" plus hull. ( you will get an idea of the cost involved ) :eek:

Mic

If it were me I would use a Neu 2215/1.5Y (1020 Kv) and run it on 8S2P power. Castle 240HV or similar ESC and he will have a very nice boat. A little tamer set up will be to use the 2Y (750 Kv) motor.

But honestly, regardless of how much experience he has, large FE boats are not the place to start. He will also need at least 2 sets of packs, and some very good chargers that can handle that size pack. I use the Hyperion DUOs.

Here are some photos of the installation on my 44" Sniper FE mono. I have a Lehner 3080 (625 Kv), Schulze 40.160 ESC and I run it on 10S2P. Boat has seen over 80 mph in SAWS.

http://homepage.mac.com/wmalvey/Models/PhotoAlbum30.html

One final thing, no matter what set up he uses the run times on larger FE boats is usually very short, nowhere near what a gas or nitro boat can do.

Thanks guys for all the info. Looks like doing a FE or mild FE corectly would cost more than a simple gas. We have the stinger and 1/4 flex so coupling to a Zenoah would be cheaper even with a clutch. Fabricating a quiet muffler also not a big deal as not going to race this boat. Just going to make a bit of noise I guess. After 50 years in the marine industry Ron understands 2 cycles pretty well and electric might be harder to adapt to.

Mic

Back