K&B 7.5cc outboard - How do these PTO bearings get proper lubrication?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyStar

Could you outboard experts out there please tell me how these two PTO ball bearings get proper lubrication? I'm going to be running my new outboard this weekend for the first time and don't want to burn these bearings up!

Don

PTO_004.jpg

Here's the other ball bearing I'm referring to.

PTO_003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lubrication of the PTO is based on the Ronald Regan "Trickle Down" economic theory. Some of the fuel(that's why oil is included in model fuel) in the engine serves to lubricate the bearings.

JD

Thanks for your response Jerry!

I took the PTO assembly outside to look at it in the sunlight and can now see how the ball bearing on the crankshaft side gets it's lubrication from oil in fuel simply trickling down.

However, when I put some drops of red Marvel oil into the bearing on the crankshaft side, no oil came through to the other ball bearing on the flex cable side...that bearing is still bone dry... I even tried spraying some Liquid Wrench into the bearing on the crankshaft side and couldn't force ANY lube to come through the bearing on the flex cable side. And so, I don't understand how the bearing on the flex cable side gets lubricated.

Don

Possibly from the lube or grease that you use on the flex shaft will lubricate the bottom bearing. I have never really worried about it.

David

Every time the piston comes down , it creates crankcase pressure that forces lube through the bearings and pto casting the same way the front crank bearing is lubed. It doesent take much.

Its been working for over 30 years , dont be too concerned :)

Dick Roberts

THe Older I get , the Faster I was :)

Back