K&B 3.5 when at Top Dead Center...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubledog

Haven't ran my outboards in YEARS and have started digging a few out to warm up this spring. Most of them have been pickled in mystery oil & rags in ziplocks after the last run. However after messing with them the last few days, I've noticed that when you remove the plug and spin by hand, the piston sort of 'bump, bump' while at TDC. I've still got a few that are brand new and pulled them out and they do the same thing. All my engines have been babied with 15% maximum since I'm not a racer.

Just currious since its been at least ten years since running these things and my memory is somewhat faded. Is it normal?

Jamie

Haven't ran my outboards in YEARS and have started digging a few out to warm up this spring. Most of them have been pickled in mystery oil & rags in ziplocks after the last run. However after messing with them the last few days, I've noticed that when you remove the plug and spin by hand, the piston sort of 'bump, bump' while at TDC. I've still got a few that are brand new and pulled them out and they do the same thing. All my engines have been babied with 15% maximum since I'm not a racer.
Just currious since its been at least ten years since running these things and my memory is somewhat faded. Is it normal?

Jamie

that completely normal jamie,,,,,, thats tellin you that you still have a good pinch in the top of the sleeve,,,,, ready for rippin... B)

alden

Yep, the "bump-bump" is just the clearance in the rod ends getting tight and then going past tight to loose again each side of TDC.

So 'bump-bump' is good:D

Well, I've got one that looks almost brand new as well, remove plug and spin by hand and its barely noticeable at TDC. Just currious since these things have been pickled for at least 10 years.

If they have been sitting that long in mystery oil I would flush them out with PB blaster and then chase that out with Corrosion X. Mystery oil turns thick afer a long time and can be hiding in some of the corners and passages of the engine. Make sure the bearings feel smooth when turning the engine by hand.

Latest posts

Back