Jim's rc boat dock hacked??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

I clicked on my icon for Jim's rc boat dock and got this admin hacked by ghost something. Anybody else having same thing

I saw that earlier..."Ghosts from Hell" they say that they are the real thing...and a bunch of other stuff. It was back up for a bit, but I just checked and the site was completely down.

Yep still down. They seem to have a lot of problems with that kinda stuff.

Man , I hope my wife didn't do it...... She knew I was wanting to buy some stuff off of there.

Post from Jim on ModelGasBoats

Hi folks. Yes the site is temporarily down. Not sure of the details as I was told about the hack and got my admins working the issue in record time. We just recently purchased a new server and was getting ready to apply the latest security patches for the forum software. Well we were a bit to late evidently!

I appreciate Marc's forum here as he has always been a great supporter of the dock and likewise I have nothing but respect for him and this site. It's not easy running a site and believe me it's days like this where I question why even do it.

Anyway hope to get the site ship shape in the next day or so. There may be a period where it will be slow as we upgrade and apply patches but with the recently purchased new hardware the delays should be minimized. If were lucky you will not notice were changing the software under the covers.

it is tough to do this. thats why every year we pay for managed hosting. We let the experts handle our forum!

There are so many ways it is hard to list them. Usually it means that someone using either malicious software or a broken password gains access to the website and then impact the website either taking it down or changing it.

I'm not a computer guru,,,So just how does a web site get hacked?
bunch of different ways. weak or easy to guess administrator/root password, "brute force" guessing attack on admin password, exploited security vulnerability in the message board software, web server software, or host operating system. Ever since malware became profitable the volume of attacks from especially eastern Europe and China have really taken off.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they catch them they need to cut thier fingers off, it will be much harder for them to hack web sites then! It would be neat to develop a mirror type program that would reflect the malware right back into the hackers computer system.

Back