JAE21G almost completed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started building a .21 version of JAE hydro late last year.

Building took months for obvious reasons, no hurry to go boating when the pond is frozen..

Anyways, it´s almost completed now. Just need to make a support (for starting, refueling etc.) and balance/sharpen/mod the props.

I bought one Octura 1945 and a 1450 prop some time ago. Suggestions on mods?

Like my JAE12, this one will use RC-car engine and pipe. Propably not the most powerful combo but I had them already.

Hoping it will be faster than the .12 boat :)

Local hobbyshop didn´t have a proper fit tank so I had to put a Dubro (10oz if I remember correctly) tank there. It´s a bit too high but otherwise ok.

One thing, do you know if epoxy can be colored somehow? Now the boat is just plain wood color with clear finish..

Edit: How big rx-pack is recommended for this size boat?

JAE21G-1.jpg

JAE21G-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you can use pigment for epoxy resin but try it first. from my experience it only takes a drop and if too much is added it doesnt cure correctly. paint is prob a better option.

i run a pitched and cupped h-7 on my 21 but if you detoung a 1450 it will work ok....

i use a 1400mah stick reciever pack in both the 12 and 21 and works good, you can go smaller and it wouldnt matter. this boat is not real sensitive to a few extra ounces..

good job, now get out and run that thing...

Building took months for obvious reasons, no hurry to go boating when the pond is frozen..

Anyways, it´s almost completed now. Just need to make a support (for starting, refueling etc.) and balance/sharpen/mod the props.

Like my JAE12, this one will use RC-car engine and pipe. Propably not the most powerful combo but I had them already.

Hoping it will be faster than the .12 boat
smile.gif

Local hobbyshop didn´t have a proper fit tank so I had to put a Dubro (10oz if I remember correctly) tank there. It´s a bit too high but otherwise ok.

One thing, do you know if epoxy can be colored somehow? Now the boat is just plain wood color with clear finish..

A Sullivan Slant tank, 8 oz, flex or standard, is all that is needed for a JAE21 and is what the plans call for. Anything larger is just added weight. Recheck your props, are you sure of the 1945 and not a 1445?

I've played w/adding pigment to epoxy.... as stated above (if you use the alchohol based pigments, as I did), dont use much, or it'll never cure to a hard state (ask me how I know LOL). I can point you to where I bought mine if you choose to go this route, but personally, I'd advise looking at pigments you can add to your clear coat.

Hoping it will be faster than the .12 boat
smile.gif

A Sullivan Slant tank, 8 oz, flex or standard, is all that is needed for a JAE21 and is what the plans call for. Anything larger is just added weight. Recheck your props, are you sure of the 1945 and not a 1445?
Yes, rechecked them, props are Octura 1945 and Octura 1450.

Chuck, what does "detoung" mean?

Back