JAE Gas Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Glass

Is any one finding there JAE gas rigger to be bouncing around alot in rough water? and if you are have you found a way to fix it. The boat is running really well in calm water its running in the low 70's with a RZ RCMK with a 3016 ABC prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it still run good in rough water? Ours bounces some due to the wide sponson spacing but is unaffected by it.

Does it still run good in rough water? Ours bounces some due to the wide sponson spacing but is unaffected by it.

Hi guys,

The photos below are of my JAE gas rigger during it's very first run. The water was rough and the wind was gusting badly, and yes, it did seem to be bouncing left to right. However, I ran tanks number 2, 3 and 4 through it this weekend after adjusting the fin and leaning out the high needle a touch, and on perfect water, and the boat ran perfectly at a respectable speed. Unfortunately no photos as I didn't have my camera with me.

I plan to get my son to do a video on Youtube soon and will share at that time,

Regards,

Wennie.

Attachments

• PA027905.JPG
    PA027905.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PA027906.JPG
    PA027906.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PA027907.JPG
    PA027907.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 1

Hi guys,

The photos below are of my JAE gas rigger during it's very first run. The water was rough and the wind was gusting badly, and yes, it did seem to be bouncing left to right. However, I ran tanks number 2, 3 and 4 through it this weekend after adjusting the fin and leaning out the high needle a touch, and on perfect water, and the boat ran perfectly at a respectable speed. Unfortunately no photos as I didn't have my camera with me.

Regards,

Wennie.
One of the greatest attributes of the JAE design is how well the boat will run in rough water...........The photos that Wennie posted confirm that......that water is rougher than hell and the boat survives .....

The wide sponson footprint on the water is the major factor the JAE will survive in this rough of water.......I have to admit that never in a million years did I ever think I would see a comment about the JAE's rough water bad manners........ :wacko: :blink: :huh: :(

Jeeeze.....If the boat will run reasonably fast in this kind of water and return to the shore under its own power.....leave it alone ,there is nothing to fix........ ;)

Hi guys,

Regards,

Wennie.
One of the greatest attributes of the JAE design is how well the boat will run in rough water...........The photos that Wennie posted confirm that......that water is rougher than hell and the boat survives .....

The wide sponson footprint on the water is the major factor the JAE will survive in this rough of water.......I have to admit that never in a million years did I ever think I would see a comment about the JAE's rough water bad manners........ :wacko: :blink: :huh: :(

Jeeeze.....If the boat will run reasonably fast in this kind of water and return to the shore under its own power.....leave it alone ,there is nothing to fix........ ;)
Rod,

Please take no offence to this, it is only an observation. What I have seen and heard about the JAP Gassers is that they are unpredictable in race waters. The boat seems very “darty”. Even if it does come back to the shore under its own power in race water doesn't make it a success story if you don't know what direction it's going to go.

I would guess that some of this illness is caused by the VERY large prop diameters along with the ultra sensitive turn fin. The small JAP's seem to handle better.

Just an observation,

B

:)

im with ya on that Buckshot. Ive never liked the way the big diameter (2916, 3014, 3016, etc.) props have made any rigger ive run act. Cupped 2718, 2816, 2818.. produce great speed and handling. 6719/3 with the right mods work quite well on 4 pointers..not sure what one would do on a 3 pointer.

Rod,

Please take no offence to this, it is only an observation. What I have seen and heard about the JAP Gassers is that they are unpredictable in race waters. The boat seems very "darty". Even if it does come back to the shore under its own power in race water doesn't make it a success story if you don't know what direction it's going to go.

I would guess that some of this illness is caused by the VERY large prop diameters along with the ultra sensitive turn fin. The small JAP's seem to handle better.

Just an observation,

B

Absolutely no offense taken..... ;) ....The only JAE Gas boat that I have any experience with is the prototype......

What I have personally witnessed,the JAE gas boat has been rock solid in less than ideal situations..........I suspect the darty un-predictable boats you are referring to suffer from some serious set-up ills.....

I am finding,because of the JAE's very low cost and ease of construction,there are a lot of newbies to outriggers out there building the JAE gas boat.

The builders who have contacted me for help,by in large,lack basic outrigger hydro set-up skills such as sponson toe,rudder depth,turnfin inclination,etc,etc,etc.

I do know for a fact most all JAE's are initially setup by their owners with a ton to much rudder throw.......The JAE design boats are "very" responsive....4-7 degrees is all you need in rudder throw.

Granted,the gas boat turfin did need some refining but that has been pretty much resolved and it will get even better with the more boats that get on the water and are tested and raced and set-up info is shared .

We have seen some slight handling issues with different prop series' but we haven't heard of any ill handling boats because of prop diameter.

Back to Troys post......He wasn't referring to darty behavior and the boat is running great in calm water.He is commenting on the sponsons dancing in rough water......[i am not sure if Troy actually has a JAE gas boat or he was commenting on what he may have witnessed]...thats not a critisizim,just a question I have with his post......If he does have a JAE gas boat what is his rudder throw?????

I was just pointing out that if you are running in water as rough as shown in Wennies photos,and running well in calm water and returning to the dock you haven't got a problem.....A darty boat will not survive at speed and come back in water that rough......

I want to say I am not interested in just blindly defending the JAE gas boat.

I would like to hear more specifics about the "darty" JAE gas boat behavior you speak of........I want to know about who has told you they are having this problem so we can contact them.

I want to hear of any bad behavior from the JAE gas boat so we can address and try to solve the boat owners problem and improve on the kit if necessary.

Later,Rod Geraghty

Buckshot thats probably a great way to put it seems very darty and a bit unpredictable as well . I don't race just a sport boater but when I was racing with a few mates on the weekend I found my self having to be very cautious in the rough water. It never looked like it was going to flip or roll but i do feel it was losing speed in the rough because it,s bouncing of the ski all the time. Any Suggestions?

Buckshot thats probably a great way to put it seems very darty and a bit unpredictable as well . I don't race just a sport boater but when I was racing with a few mates on the weekend I found my self having to be very cautious in the rough water. It never looked like it was going to flip or roll but i do feel it was losing speed in the rough because it,s bouncing of the ski all the time. Any Suggestions?
Of course you have to be cautious in very rough water......The boat is going to lose speed in rough water if the boat is spending half of its time out of the water with the prop un-hooked.........You said that the boat runs very well [70+] in calm water........is the boat darty in calm water???

That is what has me confused...... :unsure:

I am really not trying to be confrontational here.....I am just trying to wrap my head around this whole scenario.....A video of the boat running would really help with this process.......

Footnote:There are a lot of JAE gas boats out there running great without issues or any negative characteristics........there are answers to these questions already there........all we have to do is find out what those answers are......also could we please continue this discussion on just one site......either Intl waters or Jims?????..I would like to vote for Jims just because it is a gas forum but it is your choice......Pick one or the other and we can reference all interested parties to the one location to follow this thread to fruitition....

Guys,

This kind of support & fast responce is almost unheared of!!

A great big THANK YOU to Rod for all that he does :D

Don :)

Guys,

This kind of support & fast responce is almost unheared of!!

A great big THANK YOU to Rod for all that he does :D

Don :)
I do agree Don, Rod has been very helpful to anyone. Not many like him around.

Rod,

I'd agree that alot of the problems I have seen are with folks that are building their first rigger....lots for them to learn.

I also think that a lot of the gass rigger guys are swinging too big of a wheel not just the JAP boats.

B

[i'd agree that alot of the problems I have seen are with folks that are building their first rigger....lots for them to learn.

I also think that a lot of the gass rigger guys are swinging too big of a wheel not just the JAP boats.

B

I am not familiar with gas gear to make a comment on the props being used..... :wacko: ...but we will sort this out..... ;) :)

i have run this boat a bit and when i started it was a bit darty but the boat is so easy to turn that i had to turn down the throw on the rutter and after that it is very nice to drive and in the turns it is faster then in the strait aways . i think the props that i have tried are 2816 2818 2916 they all run the boat fine i run a mod zen i think people need to test and tune a bit this boat is a good race boat and that is the truth. check the angle on the srtut that will stop the hopif it is at the right angle as well as right prop chose.

have fun

howard

Latest posts

Back