JAE 21 rudder depth

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

top fuel 1

need to know how low to run the rudder below the rear ski? i will be using a rudder with a water pickup. it is for a jae 21 rigger

thanks

need to know how low to run the rudder below the rear ski? i will be using a rudder with a water pickup. it is for a jae 21 rigger

thanks
We have run rudders at 1-1/4" depth below the bottom of the ski with no handling or turning issues.....

Judging from the performance at 1-1/4" I suspect you could go considerably shallower with no problem.

thanks
We have run rudders at 1-1/4" depth below the bottom of the ski with no handling or turning issues.....

Judging from the performance at 1-1/4" I suspect you could go considerably shallower with no problem.

thats what i needed to know

thanks

thanks

thanks

i am running mine at 1.5 bleow the ski

Alrighty! That's 2, maybe 3 JAE .21's to run this year at the lake, maybe we persuade Walt into getting one if he hasn't already. Walt's been quiet, maybe too quiet like he's up to something! :D I think that Nitronewbie is working on one also.

I've got the rudder from Joe Petro but it looks like it could use to go a hair lower.

Guys, how wide are your rudders? I would like to compare it to my mini Speedmaster rudder that I plan to run on my JAE 21.

Thanks.

I just went down and compared the rudder I got from Joe to my Speedmaster mini rudder. The Speedmaster is about 1/4" longer and the width the same so go ahead and use it.

Now you got me to thinking seeing how I haven't drilled my JAE .21's transom yet.

I just went down and compared the rudder I got from Joe to my Speedmaster mini rudder. The Speedmaster is about 1/4" longer and the width the same so go ahead and use it.

Now you got me to thinking seeing how I haven't drilled my JAE .21's transom yet.
I was thinking about using my mini Speedmaster rudder since I already have a couple of them not being used.

Ron, have you experimented with the speedmaster flat bottom strut for fit?

-Kent

No, I don't have one of those laying around so I'm no help there. Joe is supposed to be coming out with a new strut for the .21, I'm waiting to see what he will be offering. The other one that he now has I got for my 2nd .12 but it's really tight on the transom of that so I can only use one of the strut brackets. One of them is threaded though so that will help.

I was thinking about using my mini Speedmaster rudder since I already have a couple of them not being used.

Ron, have you experimented with the speedmaster flat bottom strut for fit?

-Kent

the speedmaster strut and mini rudder work well..

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I started making my "old school" soldered brass strut for my JAE 21. I'll post pictures when it's done.

i talked to joe at zippkits on thursday, to order some more hardware. he said that his version of the "jim mamaril" style strut from fred at lawless should be available in about a week. if you haven't seen these, do yourself a favor & wait 'til they're ready B) . there's a photo of one in the "jae riggers-show yours" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
mike, i talked to jim about them, he was the one that informed me that joe was going to be offering them. maybe just me, but i figured i'd wait & support someone who pays his bills from this, rather than someone that does it as a sideline. not trying to knock you, don't take it wrong, just me, & my way of supporting business' that make this hobby fun for us.

YOU CAN'T RACE ON THE INTERNET - SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP !!

although, i do realize the internet is the only way to get some of what we need, but you get my drift.........

mike, i talked to jim about them, he was the one that informed me that joe was going to be offering them. maybe just me, but i figured i'd wait & support someone who pays his bills from this, rather than someone that does it as a sideline. not trying to knock you, don't take it wrong, just me, & my way of supporting business' that make this hobby fun for us.
No sweat Robin. I appreciate the background info and I respect your opinion.

thanks

thanks

What in the hell do you know.....you are only going 80.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks

thanks

What in the hell do you know.....you are only going 80.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

uhhhhhh, actually 83 and looking for more :lol: :lol: :lol:

No sweat Robin. I appreciate the background info and I respect your opinion.
mike, thanx for not taking it as a personal attack :) . i've bought some motors & pipes from jim, & am planning on sending him an adj. trim ob mount to "refine" for me. he is a great guy to deal with, & a very talented machinist, imho. the important part is you got what i feel is the best strut for the jae rigger B) . looking foward to some test & tune sessions with you & your son this spring. then we can compare fe & nitro jae riggers. might as well let the cat out of the bag - i won't be running a k&b in mine :eek: . i've been given a cmb .21 greenhead ls & a nib cmb .21 blackhead for mine!! going to pick them up tomorrow. all the rest of my hardware from zippkits showed up today, except the strut. time to start building......

Back