JAE 21 GT vs G2 Front Sponsons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, I've got the crappy ones.

Steve Ball
I tied for 2nd at the 2018 Nitro Nats with the “crappy ones”, by winning round 5 against the top 6 boats, then lost run off to a GT with G2 sponsons, so we decided to try it, and found some gains. The boat is a winner either way.

By the way, missed seeing you at the Nats or Mendota this year Steve. Hopefully we will see you at the  2019 Internats? Looking forward to hearing about the world championships!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay maybe this will help for all to see. This is a picture of the first GT 21 sponsons that Zip Kit released which have the launch problem. Look at Buckshot's picture and then mine and note the front of the sponson in relationship to the boom tube. The approach angle on Buckshot's is much less than on mine. This issue was discovered at the last Huntsville internats, I wont mention any names. Hope this helps. If you have these sponsons like mine you need to correct them. The ones Zipp Kits sells are now correct. 

View attachment 97915

View attachment 97916

Okay maybe this will help for all to see. This is a picture of the first GT 21 sponsons that Zip Kit released which have the launch problem. Look at Buckshot's picture and then mine and note the front of the sponson in relationship to the boom tube. The approach angle on Buckshot's is much less than on mine. This issue was discovered at the last Huntsville internats, I wont mention any names. Hope this helps. If you have these sponsons like mine you need to correct them. The ones Zipp Kits sells are now correct. 

View attachment 97915

View attachment 97916

View attachment 97926I have the 1st set on my gt and it runs good. It is fussy on the launch. Building a new gt now with the new sponsons and angled motor. Justin as for bad customer  service with Joe at zippkits I have never had a problem. I bet if you call him he will send you the new sponsons

View attachment 97915

View attachment 97916
It was my 21 boat that had launch problems. It was simply a lack of communication on the style of front sponsons I had put on. Made the change after Time trials (too little to late) and the boat heat raced very very well. 

I  agree with Ron Z. the service from Joe at zip Kit is over the top I also had problems at Huntsville with a JAEt 21 that had the wrong sponsons compared to a couple of other boats, mine would not launch . I called Joe and talked to him for a long time abut the differences in the ski and the sponson angles and he sent me a new kit at no charge,  now that is  great customer service

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Walt's Hobbies

Looks like the IW forum is doing exactly what it should do! Thanks to Justin , Mike, Butch, Ron and Walt for your inputs. I failed to mention that my GT21 ran well also even with the first version of sponson's. Ron and Butch's boats have won races with the older sponsons. We should all keep in mind that any version of the JAE is one of the best entry level boats for a reasonable price that also can be one of the most competitive heat racing boats. Keep the information flow coming.

View attachment 97926I have the 1st set on my gt and it runs good. It is fussy on the launch. Building a new gt now with the new sponsons and angled motor. Justin as for bad customer  service with Joe at zippkits I have never had a problem. I bet if you call him he will send you the new sponsons
I did call and talk to Joe. And probably was one of the first ones to do so. Probably why I got the cold shoulder. I don't think it was a known problem at the time. And I understand that to a point. However I don't feel as though I should have to ask for free or discounted merchandise for something that was not my fault. I'm not saying I hate Joe or anything like that. I still buy his products and even called to ask his advice on mounting the turn fin on my 40 without any problems. Told me What I needed to know. Just not happy with my gt sponson experience. 

I ran mine with the I guess you could call them the g1 or original sponsons from my first boat with great results. But they are worn out and now am having to go back to the gt sponsons and it's definitely not as good. Just my experience, thoughts and input

Lets resolve this circle jerk....There are [2] ways to resolve this.....

1.I will make a sketch of what to do to modify the earlier GT sponsons and will email it to anybody wants it.....

Just give me your email address and I will forward you the sketch....

2.Call Joe....It is no secret that Joe is very customer friendly and will help anyway that makes you happy...

Either way these solutions will take you no longer than 30 minutes to solve any issues you have with the GT sponsons.....

I would like to comment on not just the sponson issue which has been a problem and addressed but on my experience with effect of lengthening the hull

I think the difference in MY GT VS THE STANDARD 21 boat after comparing the boats closely has to do with the difference in tail weight vs weight on the front sponsons

The GT HULL was lengthened.  The motor placement was not changed, ie lengthened  behind the motor mounting.

Thus DECREASING THE TAIL WEIGHT AND INCREASING THE WEIGHT ON THE FRONT SPONSONS

So I think the front sponsons have to be modified to handle the increase in “weight”

So my GT with what is supposed to be the correct sponsons width angles the same as the standard( like Ron Z has described) still runs wetter than the standard boat.

BTW MY GT OVER ALL WEIGHTS LESS THAN THE NON GT BOAT.

So at least in my case I need to do something to my GT sponsons to handle the increase in the displaced front weight

So after racing my standard 21 at the Winter Nats, in the Spring some double sticky tape and wood are going to be experimented with on the GT sponsons and ski

DO MY GT IS A WORK STILL PROGRESS 

My buddy's FE ultimate hardware kit came missing the boom tube collars. He contacted zippkits and they shipped them right out. Kuddos to Joe/Zippkits. Top notch service.

They narrowed the front sponsons on the gt sponsons and ski as well. The original JAE had 1.3" width sponsons and ski and I believe the new gt corrected sponsons and ski are 1.1".

I tied for 2nd at the 2018 Nitro Nats with the “crappy ones”, by winning round 5 against the top 6 boats, then lost run off to a GT with G2 sponsons, so we decided to try it, and found some gains. The boat is a winner either way.

By the way, missed seeing you at the Nats or Mendota this year Steve. Hopefully we will see you at the  2019 Internats? Looking forward to hearing about the world championships!
Hi Greg..

It won't be a problem fixing the ones I have.

I'll be at the Nats in Huntsville next year. Looking forward to the social event! LOL

Steve Ball

I got to run my .21 GT today and was not disappointed. Launches easy. Can mill and get back on the pipe easily. And plenty fast with the ABC props. 

I can report that there is nothing wrong with the current kit as supplied.
B)

I got to run my .21 GT today and was not disappointed. Launches easy. Can mill and get back on the pipe easily. And plenty fast with the ABC props. 

I can report that there is nothing wrong with the current kit as supplied.
Good to hear!

Back