Is this something we boaters need to worry about?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

Was reading another forum and found this article linked. Rather than put in the link, I'll just post the article:

A security researcher has devised a method of hijacking a wide variety of radio- controlled airplanes, helicopters, cars, boats and other devices that use a popular wireless transmission technology.

The attack was developed by Jonathan Andersson, manager of the Advanced Security Research Group at Trend Micro DVLabs, and targets a “wideband, frequency-agile 2.4GHz signal protocol” called DSMx. This protocol is used in radio-control (R/C) toys, including in drones, that are owned by millions of users.

Andersson’s attack exploits weaknesses in DSMx and was presented in detail Wednesday at the PacSec security conference in Tokyo. The researcher built a device that he dubbed Icarus, using off-the-shelf electronic components and software-defined radio (SDR). With it, he can take over the control of drones or other R/C devices and lock out their real owners in seconds.

The hijacking is possible because the various bits of secret information needed to pair a remote transmitter to a DSMx receiver can be extracted from the protocol or can be brute-forced, the researcher explained in his presentation. Furthermore, a timing vulnerability allows sending control packets before the legitimate transmitter, causing the receiver to ignore the latter.

Horizon Hobby, a global distributor and manufacturer of R/C products headquartered in Champaign, Illinois, which developed the DSMx technology, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hobbyist R/C airplanes, helicopters and other flying drones are increasingly causing problems for manned aircraft and even for home owners who feel that their privacy is being invaded when these devices are flown close to their private property. There are certain no-fly areas for drones, for example near airports, but some users ignore these restrictions.

The rising number of drone sightings in no-fly areas and of near-miss incidents between drones and manned aircraft have led regulators in the U.S. and Europe to consider legislation that would restrict the use of such devices. It has also led to the development of commercial solutions for disabling in-flight drones. There have even been reports of people, including police, shooting down drones.

Hijacking drones and landing them safely instead of shooting them down and damaging them is a more elegant solution and could make possible trespassing investigations easier. Andersson noted in his presentation that his technique can also be used to passively monitor areas for unwanted drone activity and to record unique drone IDs that could later be used to identify their owners.

Any have thoughts on this?

looking at the power point.. likely not.. it looks like MOST systems have not been tested regarding this. Ya have to read the last paragraph of the power point to see it.

Grim

I wouldn't exactly call it BS, Tom. I know it's going to, most likely, be directed at quad copters but my thought is "If one person can figure out how to override a transmitter with off the shelf parts, what's stopping others from doing the same"? We all know how some don't like our boats due to "noise" and the chance of hitting a duck so, if someone else figures it out, wemay see boats getting wrecked for no reason.

I didn't take the time to go through his presentation, Grim so for now I'll take your word for it

Looks like just a few radio brands (Spec) are subject to this and others not tested. I suspect our boats will not fall victim to this regardless.

Always good to keep an eye out tho.

Grim

I wouldn't exactly call it BS, Tom. I know it's going to, most likely, be directed at quad copters but my thought is "If one person can figure out how to override a transmitter with off the shelf parts, what's stopping others from doing the same"? We all know how some don't like our boats due to "noise" and the chance of hitting a duck so, if someone else figures it out, wemay see boats getting wrecked for no reason.

I didn't take the time to go through his presentation, Grim so for now I'll take your word for it
Mark scratch my comment , read in haste and some real crap going on in my camp now . sorry bud ! I have been following the AMA / FAA deal through the monthly mag and great strides being made in relations and understanding .

Not a problem, Tom. I had a feeling there was more going on in your post than what was actually written. Have a good weekend
default_cool.png

Back