Is the Nitro OB class dead?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezzy Juliani

It seem Ilike there have'nt been much development in this classes, hey I might be wrong but just base on the nitro OB topic things seem to be hardly moving forward. The Gas class however have significantly move ( In development ), should the cost goes down there would be a big jump in this large scale OB class I foresee. What could be done to ensure this class will not share the same fait as the nitro class. I know it just toy boats, but I would really love to see this class take off in a big way were races are held all over the globe.
default_smile.png

I don't think so...

Of course gas outboards are going to e developing... They have started from scratch. They have to do everything a nitro outboard has already done...

Not sure what your point is here? Nitro not dead and as far as development the motors and hulls have evolved already to a high level and still new products are showing up. Are you comparing gas tunnels which are out there but not really growing. They have a few in the gas areas and hardly make a class. Large tunnel races like Charleston get 5-8 entries most being nitro racers.

The first two questions you get when someone new watches us test is "How fast does it go" and "How much does it cost?" A gas tunnel is not a good answer to either question. Costs more than any tunnel and not the fastest. In my opinion the lack of a bullet proof reasonably priced lower unit is what is holding growth back. No one wants to spend the money for hardware and constantly break down. Hulls are developing fairly well and motors are a proven commodity. Steering servo requirements are expensive and not standardized yet.

Mic

Rcracingevents.com. online entry, Charleston model boaters, championships end of April.

176 boats.

Come to the states, 30 racers in a class for competition. Nitro, electric, gas power.

Respectfully say no problem here.

Not in my back yard. The local club in my area races 3 classes of nitro tunnels, and occasionally 1 class of fe tunnels

I would agree that their was a long stretch there where not much was happening from a new design aspect but the nitro class is starting to move a bit in the way of hull design. I have heard that other laser kits are being tweaked on and I have a new 3.5cc / FE model design wooden laser kit called THOR that is being tested right now. I started a thread some time go on here about it and have had a lot of interest. My only hold up then was laser quality and cost to get it to market. All that is behind us now and we are doing some final testing before the production models are ordered. This model is unlike any other on the market and tons of design have been poured into it. I would say that Nitro is not dead at all.

While we are talking about Gas/Nitro classes, How many different Gas Tunnel boats are available (wood or glass)? What gas tunnel is the best all around model out there? I guess my refined question would be; Who has the Gas Tunnel to beat this year in South Carolina?

-Carl

I spoke to Mark Hopper last week and he told me he cant make them fast enough.But told me most are going overseas,im just glad he is still in business. It was such a treat going To Jackson Tn. to race and see old friends.

The Herb Stewart Challenge( Tri Oval Tunnel Racing at its FINEST) usually draws racers from several states as well as the fastest tunnel racers in the land-

The West Central Florida crew
default_cool.png

Rumor has it we will have visitors from as far away as Oz and poss Bermuda this year- so NO, Its alive and well
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as gas tunnels go, it will be extremely interesting to see how the gas tunnels fair in open tunnel at the tunnel champs in Charleston. The speeds we are seeing with the gas tunnels are at if not faster than a 40 ob tunnel and some will take the turns wide open.

The cost of both the legs and steering have gone down dramatically but it's still a very expensive boat to build.

Motor is 600

Leg is roughly 350-400

Steering is 200

And then the hull and the rest of the misc things. It's easily a 2k dollar boat compared to putting together a 40 tunnel which would be around 600 dollars cheaper.

But i don't think ob tunnels are dead by any means, they are one of the most challenging and fun classes to race.

what would one consider a reasonable price for a gas lower?? I think my drives are bullet proof in the right hands. I do agree though its not growing because of price, handling , speed. these hulls are big.. definitely a challenge

Great to receives all the reply guys, my intention was to kick start a discussion on new design hull, motors and lower legs. Yes the combo of motor & leg are still very high and then you have the high torque servo either dual or single operation. There are more newer hull in development but it moving very slowly. Its will be interesting if we're able to purchase a ATR kit similar to which Arrow Shark is offering but at a better quality and lower cost, I know it might sound I asking for too much but this big tunnel class is really a amazing class. I could foresee this class dominating all other classes in a race. Thank you for all your comment and tought.
default_smile.png

that arrow shark leg does look interesting, they say it can handle the power, anybody trying this .. joe

Yet indeed interesting,I too will like to experiment with it and see whether it is reliability, only the cost is holding me back at this point of time. Lower leg from germany or european are much more costly. I'm also looking a smaller (lighter) motor like the zen 20 for these OB applications.

that would cut the weight some , as well as using a 3/16 shaft. not sure if will have the power needed , a few engine builders have modded them but not sure they panned out performance wise

I agree with most ,the tunnel classes are alive , and the gas boats are lacking but hopefully will take, Joe C makes a good lower unit.

I have found (thanks Wayne) that certain cables work much better than others and much more reliable.

as far as the smaller nitro boats the real problem is a lack of quality boats (Lynx and Vision), wood boats are great but most like myself cannot build, much less get one straight.

I look forward to the up coming races as I enter all the tunnel classes.

and as far as the best gas tunnel, I think Wayne Farrow has the best design but will he ever offer one?

just my opinion,

Greg

Back