IRON HEAD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

1616286959183.png
OK I have bin bouncing this around in my head for about 10 years now.
Time to give it a try.
Cast iron head button.
https://www.dura-bar.com/products/ductile-iron/80-55-06.cfmThe idea is to hold the heat in the chamber more.
Less thermal loss making a hot head to help burn the nitro.
Same idea with the brass head button but 3 times less thermal conductivity.
The test bead is a CMB HR .45 in a CMDI EAGLE.

Cool! What's the volume? Looks like a bathtub shape?
Right now it is .5cc little to big will reduce it to .43 before testing.
The piston is dished .02 cc want to end up with .45 cc total with 190 ex making 8.8 trapped CR.
3 deg squash angle and .200 squash band.
This is the chamber Marty showed me when I learned how to make the Brass head buttons for the first time in Norms garage.
I wandered away from this chamber testing over the years.
Figured should go back to the beginning to start testing.

Well a little bird sent me a message.
OH BOY!!!!! You are in for a SUPRIZE!!!!!
So I am not the first to try this I assume ........LOL
So do I take heed or just SEND IT!!!!!!!
Will see.......... after the race in Miami..........

View attachment 289652
OK I have bin bouncing this around in my head for about 10 years now.
Time to give it a try.
Cast iron head button.
https://www.dura-bar.com/products/ductile-iron/80-55-06.cfmThe idea is to hold the heat in the chamber more.
Less thermal loss making a hot head to help burn the nitro.
Same idea with the brass head button but 3 times less thermal conductivity.
The test bead is a CMB HR .45 in a CMDI EAGLE.
Over the years I’ve read tests done on Chevy engines comparing aluminum heads to iron heads. Very little differences. In most cases the aluminum gave 2-3 more hp. Head button materials with water cooling that we have on our model boats make material not very critical on our small engines. Jeff Lutz

Don't know until you try it !

You should have seen some of the crazy head buttons I cut and tried on my old OPS .67's and 80's !!
Prechambers, gas ports, slots, star patterns, swirl ports, double bubbles, flat/slight taper, zero clearance, 2 - 3 glow plugs, etc... got real good at blowing V notch holes thru pistons !!!

I remember finishing the last lap of a heat race with a 6" flame blowing out of the top of an engine where the insulator on one of the three glow plugs had hammered out on an engine in my twin...
We referred to that boat as the "glow plug caddy" .... twin OPS 80's with 3 plugs per engine!! That was back when plugs were cheap !!

Good times !!

Back