Information wanted for several boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall Fella

Hello everybody .

This is a enquiry from Australia . In order to complete my order with Larry Kramer , I need to find out what the drivers uniforms , steering wheels and motors / exhaust stacks these boats use . I believe that some of these boats ran the Rolls Royce Merlin motor .

1982 Pay N Pak

1982 / 83 Executone

1983 Red / Yellow American Speedy Printing

1985 Tempus

1993 Amereican Spirit

I look forward to reading your replies .

Replies

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

The Pay'N Pak and American Spirit were both turbines so they had no conventional exhaust stacks. If I remember right, the Speedy Printing boats were Merlin boats with the round flanged stacks. Sorry, but I can't say on driver's suits, Maybe Harry knows on that one.

The Speedy's actually ran Packard's. Larry can modify (by sanding the flanges off) a set of Merlin stacks that are real close. You just have to go in with a small Dremel bit and hog out the insides some. I saw Fred Leland at the Seattle or TC race in 82 wearing a driving suit that was kind of that Carhart brown color with a red stripe down the sleeves.

I forgot that was a Leland boat. He tried to use marine Packards designed for the PT boats thinking they would work as well as the Packard built Merlins. Since the marine engine wasn't built lite, it was more than 500 pounds heavier and were rated at around 1500 HP where the Merlins were kicking out almost twice the power at higher RPMs.

Back