Flotation - Surfboard Packing Foam ? .

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall Fella

Hello everybody .

This is a enquiry from Australia . I have a ML Boat Works Kit that I would like to complete and remember reading a LONG Time ago about somebody mentioning Surfboard Foam . What I was given after visiting a local Surfboard Shop is a flat block of WHITE FOAM that is used to pack the ends of the boards in the box . The BLOKE at the shop told me that it doesn't absorb WATER , not sure about Nitro Fuel though . There was a article in RCBM YEARS Ago about a build on a " STAR WARS " Miller ? Scale Boat that had blocks of foam placed throughout between the frames . I know that Bob Johnson - DASBOATMAN is REALLY WELL KNOWN for WOF Construction Boats . This is my 1st. attempt at building a Wooden Frame Boat . I look forward to reading your replies .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Ian go to a fiberglass suppliers near you and enquire ,as there is a green coloured foam that that is referred to surfboard foam, it carves and shapes very easy , I can't remember the product name but they will know straight away.

Not sure what is available in your area, but I would use construction grade foam like what we find here at Lowes and Home Depot. It will be a better quality than any white packing foam. While the white foam may not absorb water initially, it may eventually.

I belive that the white foam they make surfboards from is call Clark Foam. It real dense stuff and shapes real nice.

Hello everybody .

Thanks to EVERYBODY for the suggestions , I was having a discussion with another member from my Club who had a very simple ANSWER . POOL NOODLE MATERIAL , and it comes in Round , Round Hollow as well as Flat Sheet . The Flat Sheet would be the BEST OPTION for me .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia .

Hey Ian,

If you are going to seal the material somewhere outboard - like sponsons- in your MLB kit, I would certainly use Dow Styrofoam. The material is Extruded Poly Styrene and is:

-Moisture resistant and doesn't provide a nutrient source for molds. It offers the highest moisture resistance of any foam plastic insulation.

-If you build it in, sand it to shape and epoxy birch ply to it, it becomes structural, rather than a material like pool noodles - that is just along for the ride, and provides only Flotation.

Pool noodles are the flotation of choice for most fiberglass hull. It can also be removed and replaced after it's used for a while. It absorbs fuel, oil and water and will become heavier over time. Easily removed and replaced in most glass hulls.

I have built boats (U-4 pics) with about every kind of foam imaginable. I used to get a white foam from a place called Star Foam in San Marcos, CA. I could get it as 1 pound/cu ft, and 2 pounds per cubic foot weights. It was the best whit foam I have ever used, but I have also not been able to find it anywhere else. Star Foam made decorative construction pieces like columns, ceiling moldings, etc.

All white foams are not created equal. I have cut into old Wood Over Foam ( WOF ) hulls and found mold growing in the white foam.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Hello everybody .

Thanks to EVERYBODY for the suggestions , I was having a discussion with another member from my Club who had a very simple ANSWER . POOL NOODLE MATERIAL , and it comes in Round , Round Hollow as well as Flat Sheet . The Flat Sheet would be the BEST OPTION for me .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia .
Gday Ian

Mate the pool noodle's break down after sometime so unless you can remove them once they have had their day I wouldnt go with the pool noodles.

Brad

Nitro doesn't seem to attack expanded polystyrene (the usual stuff used for white packing foam) but gasoline/petrol definitely will melt it. I've gone to using expanded polypropylene (EPP) which is usually black in color, but it's hard to get as it's mainly used in the automotive industry. I get pieces here and there from scrap. Polypropylene is resistant to most solvents and doesn't absorb water.

Hi Ian,

Bob is absolutely spot on in his recommendation, not only will the construction grade foam provide floatation with minimal weight gain, it can add serious structural integrity in potential weak spots if shaped to fit in a given area underneath. The pink or blue stuff found at most home building supply places will get it done. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nitro doesn't seem to attack expanded polystyrene (the usual stuff used for white packing foam) but gasoline/petrol definitely will melt it. I've gone to using expanded polypropylene (EPP) which is usually black in color, but it's hard to get as it's mainly used in the automotive industry. I get pieces here and there from scrap. Polypropylene is resistant to most solvents and doesn't absorb water.
. I'm using that epp now fill all cavities of my boat plug , easy as, referred to as gp 330 out here Ian , 50/50 mix

Hello everybody .

I had a search on Google last about the GP 330 that Wayne M. mentioned and found that it is available as a 2 part MIX ( NOT REALLY KEEN ON THIS ) or as a Flat Sheet . I chose to research the FOAM by using a PART Number that is listed in Australia . Didn't have much success , but many YEARS AGO , I did buy some Flat Green Sheet FOAM from Advanced Composites in Unanderra ( NSW ) and they mentioned it was hazardous to PEOPLES HEALTH because of the LOOSE FIBRES THAT FELL OUT OF IT WHEN MOVING IT . Not sure if this the same STUFF , TALKING ~ 20 + YEARS AGO .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Hey Ian,

Sounds to me that you are having a significant issue finding the stuff we use in the US. Something I have used comes as packing material for furniture coming from China. It's a white foam, doesn't offer the anti mold/mildew properties of Dow Chemical Styrofoam that I prefer.

In years past, I have stopped along the road to pick up large blocks of foam, and have used this to build boats . not all foam created equal, so what I suggest is Trial and Error. Stay away from the stuff that looks like tiny balls of foam bonded together.

Do you have any pleasure boat manufacturers in Australia?? They also use foam/Styrofoam for flotation cells. The US Coast Guard uses Styrofoam in their rafts, so I'd think it would be readily available there in Australia,

I wouldn't use the two part expandable foam in any condition inside a boat hull. Nor the toxic stuff you mentioned. I can't believe this is such a problem to locate. CHEERS !!! Bob

Back