In an attempt...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowdog-2112

When I try to distract myself from the often unnecessary stressors of life, :angry: I often take on projects I've been considering for some time. This is the culmination of many hours of thought, planning and action. I have redesigned the radio box setup to help move weight forward in the boat. The steering servo is moved up front, just behind the batteries. I know it's not a huge gain but it was enough to keep me constructive rather than destructive. The steering servo is actually a 9302. The one you see is a replacement cap as my previous one was damaged upon removal. <_<

What do you think?

View attachment 2117

Last edited by a moderator:
That's unique. Interesting way to do the right side steering linkage.

Is there anyway you can get the battery and receiver up front?? This way all the weight goes to the nose.

I don't know about you Jerry, but that looks like the right side to me. Old age showing again senor FROG.
confused.gif

Mike

Rcboats,

I did the calculations and found the servo weighs 2 ounces and the receiver weighs 3/4 ounce. As the main point of this was to get as much of the weight forward as possible, having the items where they are now is the best solution.

JD,

I think with the push-pull system on a 3.5 that if the linkage looses torque, it's not going to make much difference. But, I'll list it as a concern and keep an eye on it.

Snowdog

The steering cable will eventually pull itself somewhat straight, you'll have to keep adjusting your steering until it stops, or you can clip off the mounting ear of the servo, center the servo, to remove the bend, silicone the servo in place.

Other than that you've got all the weight as far forward as you can go.

Said Hi to Tony for you. Now I remember you, you used to come up from Colorado Springs to race with us. :D

Bill

I'm going to run with your advice and straighten the rod. My concern was to get the rod out of the way of the radio compartment but I see that's not going to be an issue. Thanks to all for the advice.

Bill, yep, that was me! :D

Bryan

Bryan

Bent linkage = bad idea. You could swap the steering servo and motor servos around as the should be about the same weight. My approach is to always mount the steering servo centred in the box and sit the on/off switch next to it with the motor servos in front of them batteries(heaviest thing in the box) in front of them with the receiver (small) sitting on top. I am heavily in to symetry when it comes to control runs. The cranked linkage you have will load up one side of the servo output using more power and wearing out your servo output faster.

just some thoughts

Bryan,

have a look at this pic. I took it a couple of years ago in Huntsville. It's Jeremy Lee's xtr. He has the steeringhorn outside his rc box and with one arm into the rc box to the steeringservo.

Tunnel racers

I can only think of a few reasons to run this system. Let talk about it..

I like the way it looks and all but what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Advatages:

One less seal to add to the radio box.

You can set the width of the bell crank the same width as the tiller arm.

The rod coming out of the box is short.

Disadvantages:

Slop in the bell crank pivot. This might not be an issue but it could play a part.

Extra weight.

More parts to fail.

Am I missing anything? Thoughts….

Grim

Back