I will never break in an engine in a boat again!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Namba nats this year with a brand new OS air cooled outboard on a brand new never run Lynx. Ran it a couple times in tweak time and started racing right after. Just leaned it in a couple clicks every heat until she started singing. Won A-opc mod tunnel, second in A-stock by 13 points

Glad that worked for you.....

Main reason I built this was a recently bought a Vac .45 and had read to get at least two gallons through it before you try to lean it to race levels. I don't have a retrieval boat at my test site.....just a fishing pole and a tennis ball so break in on the water is very tedious.

Glad that worked for you.....

Main reason I built this was a recently bought a Vac .45 and had read to get at least two gallons through it before you try to lean it to race levels. I don't have a retrieval boat at my test site.....just a fishing pole and a tennis ball so break in on the water is very tedious.
yeah, I probably just got lucky, lol

Break in on the water is a marine engine's natural home. A lot of manufacturers have always mentioned in their instructions that you just set the needle on the rich side and run the engine in a normal fashion and let it come up to temperature and have some load on it.

2 gallons of fuel is a lot of fuel and in one engine is going to take a lot of time to burn. Some engines might even be worn out after that. :)

Have fun, I use test stands for my 4 stroke aircraft engines but that's to help insure good power on takeoff and peace of mind.

Man,.. 2 gallons is a lot,.. I really struggle to believe that it will take 2 gallons to break in the engine,.. I do my break ins with no water,.. and crazy rich,.. just lean enough to plane out and run steady.. nice and hot,..

Nobody seems to have a "good" idea of when a motor is broke in anyway. I run them in, in the boat. First few tanks the boat never makes the water. Then it is operation as normal. Just run em a tad fat.

Grim

The new engines has to much tapper the the liners and the pistons is to tight.

Dave

Man,.. 2 gallons is a lot,.. I really struggle to believe that it will take 2 gallons to break in the engine,.. I do my break ins with no water,.. and crazy rich,.. just lean enough to plane out and run steady.. nice and hot,..
That's 8-9 runs with a 91 twin , just a drop in the bucket !!!
that's the reason i only run .21's, tom. man, i go to the fall nats & see like 2 & 3 cases of empty fuel jugs behind some of the twin guys pits & i just cringe thinking of the fuel bills.......too rich for my pocketbook.

That's why I never run my boats except at the few races I go to a year ...crazy money these days for fuel !! With gas stuff you couldn't use a gallon in a weekend !
default_biggrin.png

stick with .21's, tom. i can race & test all year on a case
default_wink.png
. i only ran 1 gas boat last year, a gallon **** near made it for the season.

Back