I need 1966 My Gypsy pictures

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catxtreme

I am looking for pictures of the rams head on the the tail of the 1966 My Gypsy, if you have anything or know where they can be found let me know. Thanks

Jeff Lee

jeff,

try the photo archive on the UNLIMITEDS DETROIT website. might be some GYPSY pics in the david newton smugmug.com photo album and possibly in the hydro museum website photo archive.

i've seen a couple of pretty good color pics showing that ram's head with smoke blowing out of its nostrils. i think the pics are in the photo archive on the UD website.

good luck,

dave

I am looking for pictures of the rams head on the the tail of the 1966 My Gypsy, if you have anything or know where they can be found let me know. Thanks
Jeff Lee

jeff,
try the photo archive on the UNLIMITEDS DETROIT website. might be some GYPSY pics in the david newton smugmug.com photo album and possibly in the hydro museum website photo archive.

i've seen a couple of pretty good color pics showing that ram's head with smoke blowing out of its nostrils. i think the pics are in the photo archive on the UD website.

good luck,

dave

Jeff Lee
A good pic of one is in Dennis Wrights gallery

Jeff Lee
My son Roger Hooks Jr. just did the graphics of My Gypsy for me if you would like to get in touch with him. He did the ram, the name and the U number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Lee
My son Roger Hooks Jr. just did the graphics of My Gypsy for me if you would like to get in tough with him. He did the ram, the name and the U number.
I am also building the My Gypsy and Mike McKnight has done the graphics for me. It took some doing to get a good picture of the ram head, but you might want to contact him. Seems this boat it fairly popular all of a sudden.

I am looking for the correct cowling if anyone has found a source. Thanks

Thanks for the replies, where can I find Dennis Wright? Kevin are you building an 1/8 scale or a thunderboat? I didnt like the cowling on the boat so I'm putting a dummy Allison on mine. Thanks

Jeff Lee

Thanks for the replies, where can I find Dennis Wright? Kevin are you building an 1/8 scale or a thunderboat? I didnt like the cowling on the boat so I'm putting a dummy Allison on mine. Thanks
Jeff Lee

Dennis Is here on Intlwaters as "My Gypsy" He is extremely helpful.

Here is a link to my picture album... I have been a bit delayed so I am still in the beginning stages.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10358

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,

It's great to see so many people interested in this boat. She was my all-time favorite. Unfortunately, I never got to see her with the orange paint scheme, only the "Paver" green from 1980 to 1982.

The cowl on mine came from Troy McIntyre. It's a high-back that was molded with the Gale/Smirnoff style fin that had to be cut to shape. If I had to do it over, I would use a cowl without the fin and make my own from plywood. The trick to making this boat look right is to get the rear of the engine bay in the right place. The Ruggles design I used had the engine bay too far aft. Once I received the cowl from Troy, it was obvious because of how close the tail of the cowl was to the transom. I ended up adding a partial frame to make the engine bay smaller and moved the cowl forward.

Good luck finding a ram's head. I searched the net for years looking for a good pic. I even called Graham. He did not have any good photos either. The best pic I found was sent to me by Newton. I ended up drawing mine free-handed with colored pencils and used an orange Sharpie marker for the border. I took it to a local decal shop to be scanned and plotted onto white vinyl. I'd offer to send you decals, but that shop is no longer in business and I never got a copy of the file. I am certainly interested in seeing what Hooks and McKnight have.

What plans are you using?

Kevin - It's been a while since you last posted any pics. How is your hull coming along?

Kevin, Check the cowlings on http://rcboatcompany.com
Thanks Ray. I actually bought one of them, Steve reinforced it was CF and everything but it just did not fit right. The cowls on the Gale boats are unique. They are shorter and taller than the others of similar style.
I think I have a old rough mold of a gale cowl, how tall and long is this cowl you want?

PHIL T

Kevin - It's been a while since you last posted any pics. How is your hull coming along?

Hi Dennis,

I have not made any progress on the hull. I have been traveling for the past three months doing sub-internships for residency. I am about to get started on it and another hull I acquired. There are a few frames I need to have redone as well. I hope to have new pics soon.

Kevin, Check the cowlings on http://rcboatcompany.com
Thanks Ray. I actually bought one of them, Steve reinforced it was CF and everything but it just did not fit right. The cowls on the Gale boats are unique. They are shorter and taller than the others of similar style.
I think I have a old rough mold of a gale cowl, how tall and long is this cowl you want?

PHIL T
Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for the offer. I will get back to you with measurements.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm actually building a gas thunderboat that looks quite a bit like the My Gypsy especially the rear part of the cowling. I'll try to post a couple pics soon. Thanks again for the help and info.

Jeff Lee

Guys one more question, what color should the outline around the numbers and letters be is it orange or gold?

Back