How to measure and apply boat skins

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Smith

Hey All,

When building a new boat, what is the best way to measure, cut and apply the skins (deck, belly, sponson sides)? I have one of the 1/8th scale hydro kits from ML Boatworks. Awesome kit but I need to cut the skins myself. In particular, the deck and sponson skins seem to be the most challenging. Is there a quick and easy trick to it or is it only a "measure twice, cut once" deal. Also, is it recommended to leave a bit of extra material to ensure full coverage of the boat then sand off the excess after glued? Thanks much!

Ken

Your best bet would be to take some card stock and use it to trace around where you want to attach the skin. Next, add 1/4" to the outside and then cut the piece out to make a template. Trace around the template onto the ply and then cut out the ply skin panel. Verify the panel will fit and then coat the inside with epoxy followed by clamping/taping in place until the epoxy cures

Back