How To Find a Model Boating Pond Near You

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanKewley

This is an Online Directory of Model Boat Ponds for North America <<_LINK_>>

As a result of a discussion thread in the General RC Boating Forum, some of us have setup a Pond and Lake Directory using Google Maps. It is open to the public and has the “Open Collaboration” feature enabled allowing everyone to add in pond locations.

PLEASE add in your ponds. Try to include the following information when adding a model boat pond:

• Name and description of lake
  • Running times
  • Accessibility
  • Directions
  • Contact person(s)
  • Club affiliation (if any).
  • Club website.(if any)
  • Types of power systems allowed.

How to add a location

• Follow the link. LINK
  • Click the "Sign In" link in the upper right corner of Google Maps to sign in to Google if you are not already signed in.
  • Once you have signed into Google you will see a red "Edit" button on the left. Click it.
  • 3 icons will then appear on the map. Click the "Push Pin" icon and place it on the map where your pond is.
  • After placing the Push Pin on the map a Text Box will appear where you can add information about the pond location, contact person, club website, directions, power systems allowed, etc.

I agree. Backing it up every so often is a necessity. I think I figured out how to do it. Under the map title and description is a link for KML. If you click and download this file it contains all of the information for that map. If something was to happen to the map data, I believe we could just import this file and have all of the location information back up on the map in no time.

For those of you who want to add additional details to your pond locations… You can draw shapes with text on the map depicting things like parking, easy up locations, bathrooms, food tent, spectator areas, etc.

Check out the Badger Model Boat Club, in Wisconsin. It is 2nd on the list in the left hand frame. I added some of these things to it… even a menu for our Food tent.

Link to map

ExampleMap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sean,

Did you notice there's actually a boat running on the Badger pond when the satellite took the image you attached? Pretty good timing.....

Dean

Well, the "Find a Model Boat Pond" site has been out there for a year now and has had 423,047 views so far. Pretty good! For those of you who haven't checked it in a while, you might want to make sure that your pond location wasn't moved by accident. Unfortunately someone else can move your Push pin if they are not careful.

Great Idea this is really cool. I updated my old club in Minnesota to correctly locate the marker as it was in southern Minnesota and not in the correct location.

This is for the Twin Cities Model Boat Club

Have a great day!

Back