How to do paint jobs with rattle cans and automotive paints.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misshydro

Ok I wanted to do a thread for along time about preping and painting boat with rattle cans and using budget automotive paints systems. We got 2 JAE just about ready to paint shortl..But heres some boats we'd painted with Dupi-color rattle can paint and toped off with urethance clears and some others we'd used budget automotive paint systems on.the black gas cat and green Jae are Ron Olsons We did for him.

Om33680 (Small).jpg

med_gallery_3638_682_55232 (Small).jpg

000_1506 (Small).JPG

Oj27735 (Small).jpg

000_1507 (Small).JPG

Sq45832 (Small).jpg

201104011642591 (Small).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Preperation on the hull is a must! If the hull is new? Then use tar wax and grease remover or good dishwashing deturgent on the hull first. If the hull has no defects then watersand it with 400-500 grit wetsand paper and then scuff the rest with a red scotch bright pad... But if it got defects like pin holes dips and deep scratches,Then sand those areas with 180... Then use polly puddy like USC ICING. You can sand it with 180-220 sand paper,then prime and block it twice..Primer wise,you can use Dupi-color or NASON rattle can...or Use 2K primer.. all works great. After your done primming those areas then wetsand it with 400-500 grit paper. Then use tar wax and gease remover again. This will remove oils and other contamations from the boat surfaces....Ok to seal your boat for paint. You can use Dupi-color primer sealer or etch primer... Both helps the paint bite/adhere better to the surfaces and seals any body work from showing up...Then use a tac cloth to whipe off the boat before painting it... By doing this will get any dust off the hull before painting it...On WOODEN HULLS AND WOODEN RIGGERS you do not have to prime them. Just have them sanded good with 400 then paint... Found that out by a close friend of ours thats been building boats for 30 years...Smaller rigger a sentive to weight and primer will add weight to it...Ok we're ready to paint...

Ws56504 (Small).jpg

Ok for those who dont have aircompresser or spray guns. You can use Dupi-color or krylon rattle can to spraypaint with. Guys with the equipment to do this same directions too. After you hull is whipe off with a tackcloth... then start spraying the color or color you like on your boat....If your doing 2tons I would sudjest using 3M fineline tap...This keeps your paint edge clean and sharp....also let your color when doing 2tons dry for 2 hours before masking it off....If you using decials like vinyl,Spray 2 light coats of dupi-color clear on it.... The clear is close to lacqure forum and it will bite into your decals ready good. Urethanes dont bite that well in to them... Seen that with the PROBOATS MISS BUDS. Clears peeled wright off the decals.... Let the boat dry for a day or so... Then use a gray scotch brightpad to scuff the whole boat with....Then spray this clear for rattle can guys

For the guys that have guns use dupont nason,,PPG Shoipline&Omini,Napas Crossfire or any urethane clear coat system.... For spray gun wise,Use a HVLP gravityfeed touchup gun.. You can spray 2-3 coats of clear. Let it dry for a day or two.. Then wetsand it with 1500-2000 grit paper If you got any imperfections like dirt or runs. If non and its smooth as glass? I leave it alone... For you ones who have to buff it out,use 3m buffing compound... You can use a buffer at low speeds or hand rubb it out.. Them hand glaze it.. After its all rubbed out then use Miguirs #7 That a great hand glaze to use....Just remember you cant put wax on your freshpaint for 60-90 days... That how long it takes for all the thinners to dry out of your paints.... For those who'd had there cars painted by bodyshops should remember it. To do these boat is the same prepation as real cars,trucks,bikes and boats. If anyone need help or advice please let me know....

Lj21379 (Small).jpg

Cy77413 (Small).jpg

Ni22339 (Small).jpg

Om33680 (Small).jpg

Zx70652 (Small).jpg

Jo31893 (Small).jpg

To44927 (Small).jpg

Cx76261 (Small).jpg

Preperation on the hull is a must! If the hull is new? Then use tar wax and grease remover or good dishwashing deturgent on the hull first. If the hull has no defects then watersand it with 400-500 grit wetsand paper and then scuff the rest with a red scotch bright pad... But if it got defects like pin holes dips and deep scratches,Then sand those areas with 180... Then use polly puddy like USC ICING. You can sand it with 180-220 sand paper,then prime and block it twice..Primer wise,you can use Dupi-color or NASON rattle can...or Use 2K primer.. all works great. After your done primming those areas then wetsand it with 400-500 grit paper. Then use tar wax and gease remover again. This will remove oils and other contamations from the boat surfaces....Ok to seal your boat for paint. You can use Dupi-color primer sealer or etch primer... Both helps the paint bite/adhere better to the surfaces and seals any body work from showing up...Then use a tac cloth to whipe off the boat before painting it... By doing this will get any dust off the hull before painting it...On WOODEN HULLS AND WOODEN RIGGERS you do not have to prime them. Just have them sanded good with 400 then paint... Found that out by a close friend of ours thats been building boats for 30 years...Smaller rigger a sentive to weight and primer will add weight to it...Ok we're ready to paint...
Nice work. Especially impressed with the Oberto if that is all rattle can. Makes me have a new found respect for the rattle. Thought they were only good for my graffiti days. (Cardboard not Walls :p ) I have tried rattle can primer before. But once again... nice work.

Nice work. Especially impressed with the Oberto if that is all rattle can. Makes me have a new found respect for the rattle. Thought they were only good for my graffiti days. (Cardboard not Walls :p ) I have tried rattle can primer before. But once again... nice work.
colors are rattle can The clear isnt. Its Napas Crossfire urethane highperformance spot/rannel clear. For doing a 1/12 boat,buying all those color wasnt costeffective in pints... At the time I was doing my first Oberto Dupont didnt have a covesion and it was Imorn very costly and toxic paint system...Roger the flames and graphics on my riggers are rattle canned on it.. I'd learned off of joe how to spray paint.. He's been doing that since the age of 5 watching his grandpa spraypainting/restoring old Lionals tinplate trains in the basement with krylon paints.

Fa85272.jpg

000_1627 (Small).JPG

colors are rattle can The clear isnt. Its Napas Crossfire urethane highperformance spot/rannel clear. For doing a 1/12 boat,buying all those color wasnt costeffective in pints... At the time I was doing my first Oberto Dupont didnt have a covesion and it was Imorn very costly and toxic paint system...Roger the flames and graphics on my riggers are rattle canned on it.. I'd learned off of joe how to spray paint.. He's been doing that since the age of 5 watching his grandpa spraypainting/restoring old Lionals tinplate trains in the basement with krylon paints.
Pretty Nice.

Back