hopping ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Templeton

I hear from a number of good boaters that if a rigger hops then you should lower your rear sponsons. I thought a rigger hops because the prop is climbing out of the water and I don't understand why lowering the rear sponsons will help.

I'd like to hear some comments,

Don ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear from a number of good boaters that if a rigger hops then you should lower your rear sponsons. I thought a rigger hops because the prop is climbing out of the water and I don't understand why lowering the rear sponsons will help.
I'd like to hear some comments,

Don ;)
Like Chris just said, look at the strut angle & the prop first. If it pulls the prop that's on it easily then you can add some cup to it which also reduces lift. B)

Don,

I haven't read or heard about lowering the rear spoonsons to cure a hopping hydro so I can't comment on that, but I will agree with Chris and Don F. about adding cup or pitch to reduce the lift of the prop and flaten the strut.

:)

-Buck-

If you are using a prop that has been (worked) are you sure both blades are the same? It can cause a nasty hop. Greg

i think lowering the rears would be a band aid to fix something else. check your prop and make sure you don't have a bent blade either

if the prop is on the limit already with pitch\cup

back cut the blades, will reduce lift and unload it.

regards Aaron :rolleyes:

i had a cat once that hopped in the water bad but after he stoped biting i didnt have through him in the lake anymore lol

Definately look at your prop and maybe try a couple of others. Last year at a race one of our local guys had the same problem. Mark Grim spent probly about an hour and a half on his prop for him and it started to settle down a little.

There used to be and maybe still are some rigger hydros that didn't even have rear sponsons, they just ran on the strut and prop. So I would definately look more into the prop and less into the rear sponsons.

Cliff

Don,

make sure you check the flatness of the front sponsons riding pads first..

Also if you have the rear sponsons at to high a AOA the boat can hopp.

Regards

Grimracer

Definitely check the prop blades as mentioned by Greg and others.. I had a prop from a reputable prop guru and it made my 21 rigger hop something fierce. Turns out blades were way off... Sharpness of the blades was a factor too.

Charley

One idea stolen from one of John Finch's book it that you may not have enough weight on the rear as that can cause hopping with lifting props.

Thanks for the input guys.

Actually, I totally agree with each and every one of you! :lol: I really can't remember where I recently read the comments on the rear sponsons. Maybe on another forum but it didn't make any since at all to me. <_<

I run a 12 rigger with a 1640 highly cupped. It launches with ease, runs with good speed and turns in almost any radius I want,

but I discern a small high frequency hop on the straight mainly from the sound.

My fronts are a little high on AOA at 4.5 degrees and my rears are set high off the water at no more than 1 degree max, the same as the strut.

Now the real problem, my strut is a center sponson and not adjustable! (NO BODY SAY ANYTHING, I'M AN OLD BOATER) :lol:

Anyway, I really think the easyest answere to my problem is a new set of fronts with a more forward trailing edge which should increase the weight on the strut with out adding weight to the boat.

Any comments?

Don ;)

Don,

if it was me i would cut the lift out of the prop to start with,

then try a longer after plane,

regards Aaron

Back