Head clearance on RX21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony scardina

I have an older novarossi RX21 with a sleeve that was modded presumably by Andy Brown (AB is engraved on the bottom of the case). When I tried to run it in my mono, torque was lacking. After talking with Glenn Quarles about a P+S a while back, he said to check head clearance as that may be the issue. Checked head clearance today with caliper method as well as using a piece of solder, and both came out to around .016", well above the .006" recommended by Glenn.

The issue is, there are currently NO shims in place to remove to lower head clearance. Glenn mentioned having the head button milled down a little if there were no shims. Who would I talk to about having the button milled down? I may look into getting a standard plug head instead, as the turbo plugs are a bit trickier to find locally.

I have an older novarossi RX21 with a sleeve that was modded presumably by Andy Brown (AB is engraved on the bottom of the case). When I tried to run it in my mono, torque was lacking. After talking with Glenn Quarles about a P+S a while back, he said to check head clearance as that may be the issue. Checked head clearance today with caliper method as well as using a piece of solder, and both came out to around .016", well above the .006" recommended by Glenn.

The issue is, there are currently NO shims in place to remove to lower head clearance. Glenn mentioned having the head button milled down a little if there were no shims. Who would I talk to about having the button milled down? I may look into getting a standard plug head instead, as the turbo plugs are a bit trickier to find locally.
talk to steve wood he will take care of you he is on here

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word of advise, modify the least expensive part. Cut on the head, not the sleeve

Anthony,

I sent you a nova Rossi nitro pipe and a nice OPS 3280 instead of the Cooper 21 pipe.

I think at 8" you will be pretty good with those two pipes.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

It's not going to run well on .016" clearance. Definitely need to get it down to 6 or 8. This pipe and that pipe won't help....much.

Awesome, Mark, I was just thinking of buying a 3280 anyways.

Andy, I'm going to be running a mac I've got in the mean time. Do you remember working any novarossi engines for the gempp family here in Illinois? It has AB on the bottom, and the sleeve and crank have work done on them.

I ran the RX 21 in my mono(SD3) with the 3280 pipe at 8" with the head clearance at 15 thou of clearance running a 1614 chopper prop done by Mark and it was fast as stink also that is the motor that is in my RR 21 hydro with a S pipe.

Awesome, Mark, I was just thinking of buying a 3280 anyways.

Andy, I'm going to be running a mac I've got in the mean time. Do you remember working any novarossi engines for the gempp family here in Illinois? It has AB on the bottom, and the sleeve and crank have work done on them.
Anthony, I don't normally mark on the engine I mod unless someone requests. When I do, I always put full my signature on the side of the mounting lug. But that only proves the crankcase. The internal parts that I worked could be long gone and something different in there. I would never set up an engine with .016" with no shims. I normally cut the head to zero then add shims

Back