has anybody tried duplacolor paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had great success using Dupi-colors apray paints, very user friendly, especially if you have little painting experience. What I've done on my boats is to brush on first a couple coats of thinned epoxy, then I used their primer/sealer. Sanded with 400 grit then the color coats. After allowing the paint to dry I wet sanded the hull with a xfine sanding sponge. Dupi-color is an acrylic laquer, I'm not too sure if its fuel proof or fuel resistant as I used a clear top coat also over my decals.

I'd used dupi-colors rattle can paints,but I put automotive urethance clear coat over it.. because there not fuel proof paints...you must spray a clear that has actavator/hardner in them..or other wise fuel will lift the dupi-color wright off your boat...

Last edited by a moderator:
thats great info ,i'm at that point now just got done sanding . i'm looking for some paint this week end.
Hey advance autoparts have them on sale at 50% off.. think there changing paint brand..so start stocking up guys...

I'd used dupi-colors rattle can paints,but I put automotive urethance clear coat over it.. because there not fuel proof paints...you must spray a clear that has actavator/hardner in them..or other wise fuel will lift the dupi-color wright off your boat...

Is there clear not fuel proof at least for gas?

Is there clear not fuel proof at least for gas?
I think the Dupi-color is ok for gasoline, one thing though. Dupi-colors clear top coat goes on thin so I would suggest buy a couple cans to be safe. when you spray it on, it looks great and it looks like its on thick but like all dupi-color paint it dries fast, and when the clear dries you'll see what I'm talking about. I used an entire small can of clear on a micro sized hydro. Try to find a clear gloss.

We use Sherwin-Williams automotive paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey tim, you get that sherwin to lay good, i used to work at macco and they use that stuff, never was impressed with end result, seemed rattle can layed down better but could of been the painter, dude couldn't spray metallic if his life depended on it !!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back