Got my OPS 90 going today, just a few questions.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Wilson

As the title says, I finally got my OPS 90 started today and running. Really nothing wrong with the engine, just haven't taken the time to work on it. I found the paperwork that came with the engine and it said to measure the pipe distance from the glo plug to the beginning of the convergence cone to be 12 1/2" for more rpm or 14" for less. Here's where one of my problems starts. I'm using a 2" band pipe. Does this measurement go from the glo plug to the beginning of the band or the end of the band?

Another problem seemed to be that the throttle wasn't very responsive. I was hoping for a lot more (and quicker) response. I have the remote needle valve hooked up (I'm using it alone, so there isn't another needle on the carb). I did have the plug loose in the engine for starting purposes. The engine idles relatively well but like I said just not responsive. I could get more speed it just didn't come quickly. here are a couple of pics of what my rigger looks like, and the way I've got things hooked up.

rig2_zpsf36129f1.jpg

rig1_zps341408e9.jpg

Any help would be appreciated (as always...)

Carl

Carl,

Looks like your Pipe or Header have been cut pretty short. I would be really careful when you actually run it in the water that coupler will probably blow. You might want to safety wire the pipe to the Boat, if you want to keep it !

Yeah, it's the one that came with the motor. I do have the pipe bolted to a piece of alum angle that's screwed to the tub in the back. In the pic of the pipe there is a dimension (12 1/2") Can you see where it (on the right side) it goes to the center of the band? Is this the correct place to measure to? Thanks for the reply...

Carl

Carl, measure to start of flat band, 12-1/2 is good. Find a cut off from an old 90 pipe and fill in the coupler. Secure the 3 rd channel arm on your needle valve, if it moves lean, not good. Enjoy B)

All of the fuel hard and soft lines look to be too small for this engine. It is a thirsty beast.

The tank itself appears to small as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't want the throttle to be responsive on the bench, as the engine should act rich on the bench. Especially for break-in.

Hey Carl just finished a twin ops 90 you need large fuel lines and change out the brass tubes in your fuel tank to 5/32 also is it stock what % of nitro . sluggish is fat and fat is good it going to rock oh ya put some tubing in the copler befor it blows out lol!

Later Charlie ps 67 pipe on these things rock at a 11.5"

20120909_133515.jpg

Thanks Charles,

I can only imagine how a twin 90 would run....I like the theme of the rigger too... I will change the fuel tubing to larger and definately add a piece of pipe in the exhaust.

Carl

Did you guys know we now have a North American dealer/distributor for OPS? If interested I'll post specifics here, but figure you know already..

Carl

Ya man do the post also ck out Alaska model boat club for a video short of the twin . What rigger is that what prop ?

Charles,

The rigger is a firefighter rigger running a 1667 prop. The link to the new OPS distributor is :

http://www.gotnitroonline.com

Phone number is 253.653.2846

Now I'm looking for a 90 tuned pipe for this engine. I pulled the pipe out to 12 1/2" and had about 1/4" to put clamp on pipe. I guess someone cut the pipe off a little too short. (it was this way when I bought it).

I believe they're somewhere in Washington state.

Carl

Carl how is the project going ! just ran 87mph w/ 1667 w/ a 6.2 cup and 11.5'' on the pipes theres a video on the outrigger section look under evil twin just added it today later Charlie

Charles,

Just watched your video.. Man, that rigger is flying. I noticed you said Andy was building a pipe for you. I will need to see what he comes up with. I've noticed that some have said their 90's were modded, I didn't know that they could be. what's done to them?

congrats on you rigger by the way...

Carl

Carl

Send your motor to Steve woods you will not believe the difference his mods make.

First off get rid of that carb and follow his suggests he is a master on these motors . Mine is like night and day

Good luck to you

Jim

Charles,

Just watched your video.. Man, that rigger is flying. I noticed you said Andy was building a pipe for you. I will need to see what he comes up with. I've noticed that some have said their 90's were modded, I didn't know that they could be. what's done to them?

congrats on you rigger by the way...

Carl

Carl Andy did some light modds porting cut pistons new head and shims and most important carbs and carb mounts

Im using Andys parabolic 80 pipes that I took off my other sgx's I hand read that they will realy wake up the REVS

AND I THINK THERE RIGHT ON. Im still in early tuning stages yet and im havin a blast with it! Thanks Charlie Oh ya ho ever does the mods it worth it the motors love it and they easier to tune.

Haven't had a chance to get out much this year. I did hook up the boat to some water and started and run outside with water to cool it off. Dialed it in pretty good (and responsive) while on the bench, still haven't gotten it out to the pond yet. Still hoping to before real winter sets in....I'll keep you posted.

Carl

Latest posts

Back