gel coat, paint prep?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yurkanip

I am in the process of finishing up some epoxy and cloth work on my H&M sport .21 and was wondering what is the best way to prep for paint? Do I need to sand down to bare fiberglass or just smooth out the gel coat and break the first layer of gloss?

Any thoughts would be great. This is my FIRST FIBERGLASS HULL, after building only with wood, 7 riggers and a Finlay Shovel.

Thanks again...

DO NOT go through to the glass or you will never fill all the pinholes!

Thanks Bill.....I have part of the hull sanded to glass and its clean, only found 5 pin holes (these Hydro & marine hulls are meticulously built)...the part I was worried about was the thick gel coat...its pretty tough, from what I have found in todays sanding and epoxy work.

I am in the process of finishing up some epoxy and cloth work on my H&M sport .21 and was wondering what is the best way to prep for paint? Do I need to sand down to bare fiberglass or just smooth out the gel coat and break the first layer of gloss?

Any thoughts would be great. This is my FIRST FIBERGLASS HULL, after building only with wood, 7 riggers and a Finlay Shovel.

Thanks again...
Just wetsand it with 400 then use a red scotchbright pad to scuff the areas you cant get the sand paper at...then your ready too paint..Dont sand all the gelcoat off..you just need to dull the finish down to no gloss.....

Thanks again...
Just wetsand it with 400 then use a red scotchbright pad to scuff the areas you cant get the sand paper at...then your ready too paint..Dont sand all the gelcoat off..you just need to dull the finish down to no gloss.....
Hydro...Thank you...As soon as my last epoxy from tonight sets up..I will be ready to sand and paint. I really appreciate it. Now...do I go rattle can, duplicolor, or something nicer from an auto body shop.....Thinking of the miss burien scheme, (I know its a picklefork, but I've always loved the miss burien)

Thanks again...
Hydro...Thank you...As soon as my last epoxy from tonight sets up..I will be ready to sand and paint. I really appreciate it. Now...do I go rattle can, duplicolor, or something nicer from an auto body shop.....Thinking of the miss burien scheme, (I know its a picklefork, but I've always loved the miss burien)
It's up to you if you want to dupi-color or not?But if you do you need to clear it with automotive urethane clear coat system...But if you can afford to do it all in urethane paint system then do it that way....I did both of my Oberto's U-6,U-1 in dupi-color rattle cans then use urethane Crossfire paint system on them..worked out great..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back