Gas Scale hydro builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyones gas scale builds are looking so good! Looks like a lot of 8255 hulls in the same area? Should make for very driver controlled racing kinda like nascar! Keep the pics coming! Mike

Hi everyone ,heres another gas scale hydro to add to the collection,this will be a model of an Australian boat called Solo which competed in the US in 1974.

solo 014.jpg

solo 013.jpg

solo 012.jpg

solo 009.jpg

Phil,good looking boat.Where is your CG,and what do you have under the hood?I am still filling and sanding mine before paint.Should be ready for the Evansville,Sept. race.

What kind of tweaking are you doing to change "ran ok" and "tame the ride"?

Harvey

Phil,good looking boat.Where is your CG,and what do you have under the hood?I am still filling and sanding mine before paint.Should be ready for the Evansville,Sept. race.

What kind of tweaking are you doing to change "ran ok" and "tame the ride"?

Harvey
I only have the 26 CCpromod, That means it is fast enough but have to set the strut and balance point so it wont do those inside loops everytime it runs.

whats going to end up as a rule for struts? as far as IMPBA dog behind transome?

Corey,you have brought up a very interesting question.The Knoxville Gang pretty much attend IMPBA races, and our boats are built to IMPBA rules. There are no Gas Scale rules in IMPBA,but if they are eventually developed,they could be an extension of the scale rules.

IMPBA Scale Unlimited Rules on page H-4 ,#7 states that the drive dog does not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype does.

NAMBA has established Gas Scale rules,which are an extension of their 1/8 scale rules.Their rules in section- 21 Scale Unlimited Hydros,C-9 #9 state that their drive dog can extend one drive dog length beyond the transom.

I don't recall this topic being discussed on 1/8 scale.Maybe we pretend the difference doesn't exist,and blame it on two different racing associations.

On my gas scale I put the back of the drive dog even with the back of the transom.I think it depends where you race or if you intend to race your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I figered might as well follow some of the basics that might get carried over from 1/8th scale hate to have to make a change you know I hope that when rules are placed the IMPBA really tries to mirror the northwest guys rules, 31cc engine max, to name one very important item

Corey,I'm with you and hope that when it's time for IMPBA to publish Gas Scale rules,they will mirror NAMBA.The engine in my Gas Scale Bud T-6 is a modded RCMK K-30 with rear exhaust,and meets the NAMBA requirements.

Its hard to believe the 82 Executone is how all these kits began. It was the first one of the now 100+ kits available! I sure do miss mine! Mike

DSCF1958Large.jpg

well just got my kit from mike luszcz yesterday.. ( 7931 ) it will be the 1979 miss circus circus in gas scale will start building as soon as my new blazzer t-boat is done...

Hi guys,

I will post pics from building of Miss Bud, but let me make a few caveats.

First, please forgive me for my not good English.

My boat, Miss Bud is built without plans, I've used only pictures. I would love to hear your comments and advice.

To build I use only materials available. Only frames are laser cut, everything else is handmade. Project work going on slowly, but now with your help will be much easier.

And so to start ....

The frames and stringers were cut from 3.5 mm. plywood.

The wing is made of two layers of 4 mm. balsa and covered with plywood 0.5

Cowl and cockpit were modeled styrofoam and are covered with fiberglass and epoxy.

Their form has been made only by pictures.

Started building a boat onto dry dock.

Back