Gas Scale and 1/6th Scale.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most in our distict use 1/4 aluminum ,then tap for bracket

Is that on the inside of the transom or the outside?

I was referring to the outside of the sponson transom. I know I need something on the inside to bolt the bracket to, just need to know if anyone puts anything on the outside to prevent the plywood from crushing

I don't put anything on the outside, I just put a 1/4ply and a1/4 aluminum on the inside, never had a problem with it crushing. Hope this helps?

That's kind of what I was thinking but, after reading Lohring's post about having issues with crushing, just wanted to be sure before I start cutting wood

Adding a thin brushed aluminum plate wood look cool, but not needed. One thing you all may want to do, is once you drill any holes on wood, go back and soak the hole with thin C.A.. This will sipin and harden the layers of the wood and will help keep the wood from crushing in. Do this to all your hardware: turn fin / rudder / strut brackets and even you water lines. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

I had lots of turn fin issues with the gas scale $ Bill. For the final 2 lap record boat I ended up with 3/16 aluminum on the inside, 1/16 aluminum on the outside with a billet angle holding a 1/4 aluminum turn fin with two supporting rear struts. It was all needed for rigidity on a 20 pound boat turning 12+ second laps.

Lohring Miller

P1010285.JPG

I know this is an older thread, just thought I'd bring it back forward since I found some info in it that I felt was relevant to a boat I'm working on, that being a 1978 Miss Madison.

After rereading Lohring's post, I decided to follow his lead on the right sponson transom. So far, I've redrawn my set of plans, basing the reworking on measurements taken from the full sized Pak hull, to get the boat more accurate. To get scale thick air traps, I've gone with 5/32" ply for the sponson insides and engine bay walls. Both on the full sized boat are 1" thick so using the 5/32 ply will only be .00625" too thick, before paint. My only question, at this point, is how thick do I need to go on the plywood for the right sponson transom? I'm thinking, with a 1/16 outer aluminum skin and 3/16 inside backer, both of 6061, that 3/16 ply would be heavy enough. Since the left sponson won't have the same load, I'm thinking 1/8" ply for the transom with 1/4" ply sponson sheers. Anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Back