Futaba R603FF 2.4 GHz FASST Receiver

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,

I apologize for my excessive sarcasm - it's part of my character ;)

I got defensive because I felt like my claims we're being challenged. Why would I make anything up? It's not like I'm a JR fanboy who's just talking bad blindly about a product. I went and paid the $189 at my LHS after explaining to my girlfriend (who likes the gadgetry of the 3PK) that this was a great radio and has the best technology and my stuff was old and outdated!

I'll try it again in a couple years B)

And I am sorry if my posts came off as anything other than a genuine attempt to help. I did recoil a bit at the sarcasm, which is something I use a lot as well, and went a little off. I changed that post as well since I am not trying to brag, just point out that I actually am active in this hobby.

Good luck with whatever radio you end up using.

BTW - They are very nice shirts !!

Don,
When you get the chance do some testing and tell us what you get for range.

ROCK ON

Grim
Ok Grim since you asked-

Today was my first running with the Futaba FASST module in my 3PJS and the 603FS RX's running in PPM mode (analog servos). I will give the facts of today's experience straight up-

1- I ran two boats, my new gas Thunderboat & my Roadrunner gas rigger, figuring that with spark ignitions it would give a higher probability for possible "hits" or glitches".

2- both boats had antennas at least 3" outside of the radio box with both having the antenna in the vertical position. The Roadrunner had 4" vertical antenna mast outside the radio box lid (RX directly beneath antenna). The Thunderboat had about 2" vertical above the top deck.

3- started out with a ground range check, kept walking until I could barely see Dick Tyndall still signaling all OK.

4- ran both boats multiple times over the span of 4 hours and they performed flawlessly in all aspects of radio function. I ran the boats at distances much longer than a normal coarse without a single stumble, hit or glitch.

So does this mean I'm completely sold on it? No, not yet but it did work quite well on it's trial outing so I will next add the 603FS RX's to my single F hydro and then 2 603FS RX's to one of my twin Roadrunners (I run dual RX's in all my twins). If all goes well there then the final conversion will be my 1/8 scales.

Now I will say that I spent about an hour on the phone a week ago with the techs at Futaba talking about the FASST conversion set & my applications. I do want to make two things absolutely crystal clear- they were totally against the idea of leaving the antenna inside the radio box and stressed that no less than the last inch (the actual antenna section) must be in the vertical position and the more the better. I did as recommended and so far so good. B)

The one thing that stands out to me here regarding bernowt's situation is that the complete 3PM FASST radio set is cheaper in price than just the FASST conversion set for the 3PJS/3PK radios, both Futaba high end pieces. The reason I say this is as I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried the 3305 "budget" high torque servos & they were junk in my opinion, I think they were purposely built cheap resulting in a product with an "acceptable" higher rate of failure in a trade off to keep the costs down. I can't help but wonder if the 3PM might be another budget build that may have a similar "acceptable" rate of possible sub par performance especially with using the single antenna version 603FF RX. The 603FS dual antenna RX's were created to address a reception issue were they not? This is just my thought & opinion but it does make me wonder. :blink:

Bottom line for me anyway is up to this point things look good but more "testing" remains on other applications before I'll say hands down good to go. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i ran the FASST today. Im using the 3PM with 603FF recievers (in both my cat and mono). It was absolutely FLAWLESS. I had not one glitch the entire day, and i was using every bit of our pond trying to find a spot it did not like (Don since you are familiar with the atlanta pond.... i was almost to the shore beyond the offshore bouy).

For now.... im glad i made the switch to FASST :)

Well i ran the FASST today. Im using the 3PM with 603FF recievers (in both my cat and mono). It was absolutely FLAWLESS. I had not one glitch the entire day, and i was using every bit of our pond trying to find a spot it did not like (Don since you are familiar with the atlanta pond.... i was almost to the shore beyond the offshore bouy).
I have a 3pm running 3 boats,i had one glitch. I was using the 603ff in my scale,i switched it to the 603fs and had no more concerns. I was told my a Futaba guy that 503ff rec, are suscepable to heat lock up. My pipe in my scale is so close to the radio box i have 2 pieces of carbon fiber between them no air gap. Im like my system........ Mike

I have a 3pm running 3 boats,i had one glitch. I was using the 603ff in my scale,i switched it to the 603fs and had no more concerns. I was told my a Futaba guy that 503ff rec, are suscepable to heat lock up. My pipe in my scale is so close to the radio box i have 2 pieces of carbon fiber between them no air gap. Im like my system........ Mike

I take it the pipe is under the cowl in your boat as well? While i run steel pipes, i dont have full cowls so the pipe is out in the open, and about an inch above the radio box lids.

I tell ya though, it sure was nice yesterday being able to turn my radio on and run a boat whenever and not have to worry about what channel everyone else was on :)

Bottom line for me anyway is up to this point things look good but more "testing" remains on other applications before I'll say hands down good to go. :)
Wow! I am truly impressed Don.... Glad the first test went good for you, hopefully it continues this way. I have had mine for several months with no issues, I have the 6EX, and use it for my planes and boats. It sure is nice not to have to worry about frequencies any more!

~James :D

Wow! I am truly impressed Don.... Glad the first test went good for you, hopefully it continues this way. I have had mine for several months with no issues, I have the 6EX, and use it for my planes and boats. It sure is nice not to have to worry about frequencies any more!

Well I'll be honest in that I did alot of thinking, researching & made a few phone calls before I plunked down the $$ for the TX/RX conversion set & 9 more RX's. I did get a good enough break that, should I bail on the system, I'll have no issues getting my $$ back out of them. Hopefully things will continue as they did last Saturday. True moment of pucker power will be when the first twin goes in the water with the dual 603FS's. :ph34r:

Don,

Did your new radio system come with a Joe Warren force field ? ;)

Well I'll be honest in that I did alot of thinking, researching & made a few phone calls before I plunked down the $$ for the TX/RX conversion set & 9 more RX's. I did get a good enough break that, should I bail on the system, I'll have no issues getting my $$ back out of them. Hopefully things will continue as they did last Saturday. True moment of pucker power will be when the first twin goes in the water with the dual 603FS's. :ph34r:

Testing part 2- We had another nice weekend to get out & get a little run time so I was able to run the 2.4 FASST system again, this time on my single 80, twin 80 and gas riggers. Another day of glitch free performance from the Futaba FASST system using the 603FS RX's. Also note here that the twin was set up with dual RX's as I had run with the previous R113iP PCM RX's & so far so good, ran all 3 boats well beyond the normal oval course. Still gotta get used to not having to pull the TX antenna up at the start of each run. :p

Testing part 2- We had another nice weekend to get out & get a little run time so I was able to run the 2.4 FASST system again, this time on my single 80, twin 80 and gas riggers. Another day of glitch free performance from the Futaba FASST system using the 603FS RX's. Also note here that the twin was set up with dual RX's as I had run with the previous R113iP PCM RX's & so far so good, ran all 3 boats well beyond the normal oval course. Still gotta get used to not having to pull the TX antenna up at the start of each run. :p
Don,

Just unscrew the old antenna and put it away. The problem I now have is remembering to pull up the antenna on my non 2.4 systems. :lol:

JD

Don,

Just unscrew the old antenna and put it away. The problem I now have is remembering to pull up the antenna on my non 2.4 systems. :lol:

JD
I did that, still find myself grabbing the 2.4 antenna. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don,

After your first race.. tell us if will or will not EVER go back to using XTLS...

Grim

Cool Don. I too have yet to have a glitch yet. Last test session i even left the antenna (im using the 603FF recievers) inside the box on my mono, and it was like i didnt change anything. Was still able to use up every inch of the pond without a single glitch.

Don,
After your first race.. tell us if will or will not EVER go back to using XTLS...

Grim
Ive already ran with multiple boats at once (5-6 boat heats) and performance was just as good as when i was the only boat on the water. Ill never go back to a regular FM radio again.

Back