Futaba 3PKS Pistol

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Boat Racers,

I have received questions in the past as to how I setup my radios in my boats. For those of you that use Futaba high-end radio systems I have drafted a 10cent tutorial on programming your radio for boat use. This works on all nitro and gas boat applications. Just thought I would toss it out there for those that might like to know.

Let me know if you have any Questions..

Grimracer

-----

Setting up your Futaba 3PKS for Marine racing use:

The following steps use the power of the Futaba’s programming system to optimize our radio for marine racing use.

In marine racing applications we have no need for reverse and would rather have full use of the throttle servo travel. We also have to be careful not to push “full back trigger” when in a panic situation inadvertently closing the carburetor and shutting off our engine.

This short tutorial will show you how to program the radio to use the large push switch located under the steering wheel of your radio to shut your engine off and at the same time get full travel from the throttle servo.

Directions:

Turn your radio on and select the model you wish to manipulate.

Enter menu one (1) by pressing the bottom of the scroll button. Using the scroll button scroll down to BOAT in menu one (1).

Push the center of the scroll button to enter the BOAT menu. Press either the + or – button located to the right of the scroll button. You will see the *TRG-BRK switch from NORMAL to CUT OFF. We want to use CUT OFF for this setup.

Leave the menu by pressing the END button in the lower left corner of the radio.

Press the + button in the upper right corner of the radio, this will bring you to menu two (2). Using the center scroll button scroll over and up to SWITCH. Press the center of the scroll button to enter the SWITCH menu.

*SW1 programs the large thumb switch located under the wheel of your radio. We are going to program this switch into IDLE-UP mode. Using the + or – button scroll through the menus until you find IDLE-UP.

Push the end button to leave the SWITCH menu.

Push the + button to scroll to menu one (1), Using the center scroll button scroll over and down to the IDLUP menu. Push the center scroll button to enter the IDLUP menu. Using the – button set the RATE to D (down) 50%. Note: You might have to adjust the rate amount depending on the amount of servo motion it takes to close the carburetor.

The settings are now saved and you can use the end button to back out of the menus.

A few tips. Its our experience that if you have been use to using the system in (Normal) that you need to back the throttle servo arm two more splines to allow for proper adjustments. Its also worth noting that you will find that around 60 to 80% EPA (End point adjustment) is all that is needed to fully open your carburetor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks and its Mike... but please you can call me Grim.........

I wrote it up last night..

Grim

Boat Racers,
I have received questions in the past as to how I setup my radios in my boats. For those of you that use Futaba high-end radio systems I have drafted a 10cent tutorial on programming your radio for boat use. This works on all nitro and gas boat applications. Just thought I would toss it out there for those that might like to know.

Grimracer

-----

The following steps use the power of the Futaba’s programming system to optimize our radio for marine racing use.

In marine racing applications we have no need for reverse and would rather have full use of the throttle servo travel. We also have to be careful not to push “full back trigger” when in a panic situation inadvertently closing the carburetor and shutting off our engine.

This short tutorial will show you how to program the radio to use the large push switch located under the steering wheel of your radio to shut your engine off and at the same time get full travel from the throttle servo.

Directions:

Enter menu one (1) by pressing the bottom of the scroll button. Using the scroll button scroll down to BOAT in menu one (1).

Push the center of the scroll button to enter the BOAT menu. Press either the + or – button located to the right of the scroll button. You will see the *TRG-BRK switch from NORMAL to CUT OFF. We want to use CUT OFF for this setup.

Leave the menu by pressing the END button in the lower left corner of the radio.

Press the + button in the upper right corner of the radio, this will bring you to menu two (2). Using the center scroll button scroll over and up to SWITCH. Press the center of the scroll button to enter the SWITCH menu.

*SW1 programs the large thumb switch located under the wheel of your radio. We are going to program this switch into IDLE-UP mode. Using the + or – button scroll through the menus until you find IDLE-UP.

Push the + button to scroll to menu one (1), Using the center scroll button scroll over and down to the IDLUP menu. Push the center scroll button to enter the IDLUP menu. Using the – button set the RATE to D (down) 50%. Note: You might have to adjust the rate amount depending on the amount of servo motion it takes to close the carburetor.

The settings are now saved and you can use the end button to back out of the menus.

A few tips. Its our experience that if you have been use to using the system in (Normal) that you need to back the throttle servo arm two more splines to allow for proper adjustments. Its also worth noting that you will find that around 60 to 80% EPA (End point adjustment) is all that is needed to fully open your carburetor.
Oh Grim, ur so smart!!! I wana be just like you when I grow up. :D :D :D That's perfect timing. I just got one of those fancy schancy radios and I'll hook it up tonight.

Boat Racers,

Grimracer

-----

Directions:

Oh Grim, ur so smart!!! I wana be just like you when I grow up. :D :D :D That's perfect timing. I just got one of those fancy schancy radios and I'll hook it up tonight.
And to think ive always called him OH HAIRY ONE

Mikey,

The only dang hair i can grow is on my head.. Hea.. want me to SHOW YOU!.. that might be fun!

grim

Okay, Okay, Okay....first of all sometimes I need all the brakes(stopping) I can get. Second, I don't even want to think about Wesley with Grims hair, oooooh!

Sorry Wes, just kidding :D :D :D

Mikey,
The only dang hair i can grow is on my head.. Hea.. want me to SHOW YOU!.. that might be fun!

grim

Ok now we all have to imagine Mikey S. with hair and Grim with out hair. :huh: :huh:
Just reser my transmitter......Oh i do have hair just not on my head............. Get this out of your system Grims ladt is coming to th race.... Scott i could set you up with WENDY

oHo shi..................... I done just spit diet coke all over my PC....

lol..........

Grim

NO its Wendy what the ? Ask Russ he knows how to say it......Wait Ken N Jerry met her maybe she will hand out trophies or something
Probably the something

Last edited by a moderator:
He Grim

I think its very nice to help us boaters with the setup.

I have been looking for a complete new set of equipment, and this might come in handy.

Ronald

Back