Futaba 3PK Help - Receivers won't bind

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I had the same problem, called futaba tech support and they told me I have a bad radio, returned it to my lhs and they gave me another radio, that was 10 plus Years ago and still going strong

Tom
It took me a long time to switch to 3pk 2.4 from75 and i like it.I haven't had any problem with 2.4 I still have a boat on 75 and when it goes bad i will switch over.

Dave Roach

I do all these things but nobody....will ever...convince me it is any better than a properly setup 75 mghz boat !
And I offer this....prove it !!!!!😆

Just a few reasons that quickly come to mind,

2.4ghz has much better electrical noise rejection. Rub two pieces of metal near a FM system and make them go nuts. The cable in the driveline or a pushrod rubbing or any number of things on your boat or one running close by. Later PCM FM receivers were better of course but that is not what most everybody was using.

2.4 doesn't have frequency that can be taken out by merrily turning on another transmitter.

Newer 2.4 receivers only bind to one model number so you can't fry servo's by having two models turned on at once.

Receiver battery level displayed on transmitter.

Transmitter antenna is nice being short and can't forget to pull it up. No ones ever done that. Lol.

Easy for someone to say it isn't any better when they are binding their first 2.4 receiver 20 years after 95% of the R/C population swapped over.

I can tell you I do not hear many people complaining about it or switching back even if they could.

It is not just proven but has been confirmed as being a FACT !!!!

When 2.4 first came out it was easy to see the advantages

Open frequency ALWAYS
Less metal to metal contact issues
No worries about some trucker keying up us 100w CB
FAR LESS brownouts and dropouts

What did come in..

False sense of, do what ever you want with the RX antenna! (I was one of them)
At the same time as 2.4, digital servos, more power, faster.....etc... and battery chemistry changes were coming in hot and heavy
Lots change in a very short time.

The first time I ran a 2.4 system I knew right then.. 75mgs were over.... for me.. (change was coming.. and I LIKED IT!)

We have had to endure a few bumps along the way..

Temp issues with the older (blue label FASST) receivers.
Old switches in the boats would cause issues
More protocols coming in adding to the confusion.

WAY MORE good then bad..

Grim

I made the switch right after 2.4 was available. I was strictly flying heli’s at the time and all the young guns said “ you gota switch”, you won’t believe how much faster it is, no latency. I told them it can’t be possible for an old guy with old eyes and old reflexes. Well they let me fly one of their heli’s and it only took one flight and even I could feel the difference and was convinced, made the change immediately.

Just a few reasons that quickly come to mind,

2.4ghz has much better electrical noise rejection. Rub two pieces of metal near a FM system and make them go nuts. The cable in the driveline or a pushrod rubbing or any number of things on your boat or one running close by. Later PCM FM receivers were better of course but that is not what most everybody was using.

2.4 doesn't have frequency that can be taken out by merrily turning on another transmitter.

Newer 2.4 receivers only bind to one model number so you can't fry servo's by having two models turned on at once.

Receiver battery level displayed on transmitter.

Transmitter antenna is nice being short and can't forget to pull it up. No ones ever done that. Lol.

Easy for someone to say it isn't any better when they are binding their first 2.4 receiver 20 years after 95% of the R/C population swapped over.

I can tell you I do not hear many people complaining about it or switching back even if they could.

It is not just proven but has been confirmed as being a FACT !!!!
Well I didn't want to rush anything lol but I had no reason to change and with 3 - 3pk radios.and 20 R 113 Ip recievers why would I ? Well now I have 3.- 2.4 3 PK radios and 15 2.4 recievers so there is hope. And no I'm never buying an EV motorcycle or car !!🤣🤣🤣

Well I didn't want to rush anything lol but I had no reason to change and with 3 - 3pk radios.and 20 R 113 Ip recievers why would I ? Well now I have 3.- 2.4 3 PK radios and 15 2.4 recievers so there is hope. And no I'm never buying an EV motorcycle or car !!🤣🤣🤣
So Tom, those PK’s were battery hogs when they came out weren’t they? How long did you stick with NiCad or NiMh before going with Lithium chemistry? Asking for a friend.

There were some hold outs.

So Tom, those PK’s were battery hogs when they came out weren’t they? How long did you stick with NiCad or NiMh before going with Lithium chemistry? Asking for a friend.

Oh no your not suggesting Tom may have been dipping his toes into the future. Never !!!!

>>>>>>

Futaba orange NiCad pack gets 2 hours actual run time or maybe a full days running.

A quality LiPo 2750 pack gets 40 hours run time or 20 full days running. It is so long between charges you can't even believe it's possible after the switch to LiPo.

Last edited:
There were some hold outs.

Oh no your not suggesting Tom may have been dipping his toes into the future. Never !!!!

>>>>>>

Futabe orange NiCad pack gets 2 hours actual run time or maybe a full days running.

A quality LiPo 2750 pack gets 40 hours run time or 20 full days running. It is so long between charges you can't even believe it's possible after the switch to LiPo.
It has a lipo !! I need another flat one like the one I have . Came in a radio I bought ! Pushing the limits of technology! 2003 KTM 450 as well lol

It has a lipo !! I need another flat one like the one I have . Came in a radio I bought ! Pushing the limits of technology! 2003 KTM 450 as well lol

That thing still has a carb !!! Lol.

Just rebuilt the shock on my buddies 2008 KTM 450. Been doing some suspension work lately. Just invested in vacuum oil bleeding/pressure filling machine and the nitrogen tank, regulator and apparatus for recharging them.

I dove in deep with the new KTM 300 XC-W with the fuel injected oil injected 300cc 2 stroke. That baby hits right off idle and pulls like gangbusters. 6 speed. Fresh MX14 on the back.

You should come ride with us sometime. We have good time and cook food on grill for lunch. Brought a slab of salmon last Saturday. We ride Saturdays most often.

We are doing a Ocala forest run as soon as it cools off a bit more on a Friday so not so dangerous.

I have packs for that radio. The highest capacity on the market.

2750 Lipo $34 and $6 to ship. [email protected]

Ok cool., will send you my address and I can.paypal or send mo or check . Have not ridden in 3 months but after my new hip gets installed around February I'll be ready !

Just saw this on my flying clubs page from Archer , FL . 2.4 is not without issues and this field is literally in the middle of nowhere . :

"Several of us have experienced fail safe events with our aircraft lately - last week three of us had multiple instances of this, one of which caused the destruction of a beautiful Nexa Beechcraft Bonanza.
I've been giving this some thought and doing some measurements. I have a background in electrical engineering and have worked with RF systems in the past, so I know a little about this but I'm no PhD level expert.
I've measured, both with a stand-alone spectrum analyzer and the one in my Radiomaster TX16S, periodic (every 30 secs) bursts of energy pretty much across our 2.4GHz band. It only lasts a second or so, but it's there. Seems to be there most of the time. My guess is that we're in the path of microwave repeaters that transmit across our field. It's a fact that if the RF noise floor in our receiver band gets high enough it can overwhelm the receiver's front end (a series of filters, mixers, and amplifiers) and cause a fail safe event.
Depending on the system receiver, airframe composition, and antenna placement this could manifest itself as either nothing (aircraft flies right through it) or temporary or complete loss of control. As a result, I have the following recommendations:
  1. Set your fail safe to a known condition. Opinions vary as to what that condition should be and different brands may have different default settings. Some may prefer to neutralize control surfaces, some prefer to hold last position, some choose to neutralize, but with a slight turn. In any case set it to go to idle throttle - that way you should avoid a fly-away and/or a high speed impact. But know what your fail safe setting is so you can recognize it when it happens.
  2. Ensure your antenna placement is as optimal as possible for your particular receiver. I use receivers that do no support satellites, so I place the receiver as far away from obstructions (batteries, ESC, servos, other electronics) as possible and do my best to set the two antennae at a 90deg angle to each other. Near the tail with one antenna running fore-aft and one across the fuselage is what I strive for. For those running receivers that accept satellites - use them! Place one back towards the tail as far as you can with the antennae at 90deg to each other. If you can use a second satellite, place it towards the front of the fuselage and as far away from obstructions as you can.
  3. If your application can support it (space, weight, etc.) use a separate receiver battery or dedicated BEC rather than rely on an ESC's BEC. For those using gas engines use separate receiver and ignition batteries or a good quality IBEC. The point is to make sure you have good power to your receiver and minimize noise. Power "brown outs" (low voltage at the receiver input) can cause your receiver to go into fail safe and, depending on the brand/design, take seconds to recover. That can seem like a lifetime when you have no control over your aircraft. "
  4. If other members are experiencing interference (unexplained fail safe events, non-dumb-thumb crashes, etc.) DON'T FLY! The interference we've seen at our field appears to me to be real - don't think it can't happen to you. Is it really worth it to risk your aircraft - or, even worse, an injury - to get in one more flight?
That's just my $0.02 worth. Think about it before you head out to the field.

Back