Full P JAE powerplants?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeWScott

What is the motor of choice for a full P outrigger? And what cells to go along with?

I am on a limited budget.

Joe

A good low cost option is a Leopard 4074. Gens Ace 4S 5300 (30C) would be my choice for a battery. Neu 1515 is a GREAT motor BUT that will cost x3 that of the Leopard.

Paul

for a limited budjet turnigy nano tech lipos may work for you. lower internal resistance with the nice gen ace packs but the nanotechs do really well for half the price.They also deliver their claimed "C" rating dont forget esc. T180 wat you looking at? anyway gonna be a fast boat.

Good info. Thanks. This is a for fun boat. I've got a JAE 21 now that is a screamer. Don't want go slower with this boat for sure. Having said that will these less expensive motors out perform the AQ setup? Do I spend more now on powerplant or batteries? Because I would want to upgrade down the road of course.

Thanks again

"Having said that will these less expensive motors out perform the AQ setup?"

Ah that leo is a little better than the limited stuff.

The leo truly is one of the best choices for an economical full p setup. Just to give an example of the leos and what they can do. I have a friend with a 36inch hor cat that did 95 plus mph on a leo 4082 and 9s lipo :eek: . leos arent too shabby my friend B) .

Hugh

Last edited:
It all depends on how many amps you want to pull and for how long. The Leopards seem to be okay for limited amp draw applications and for general sport running, but they are no way race motors. A much better choice is the Castle 1515/1Y. These are available for under $140 on eBay (black E-Maxx takeouts) and they perform far better than the Leopards. At the NAMBA SAW record trials last Fall I had an 89 mph pass with a black 1515 in a 6S cat. I made19 pairs of passes over the weekend and the motor didn't miss a beat. I later swapped to a Leopard 4074/2200 motor and it got blazing hot yet only gave 78 mph, everything else in the setup was the same. Motor choice depends on what your goals are, on how much quality matters to you, and on how much you are willing to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you expect the same results on two different motor with the same setup?

Two motors having the same kv means zero if they dont have the same efficiency same wind same max amp draw each motor has its own prop that puts it on pipe.

the castle 1515 is a great motor but thats an unfair comparison. The leo is not a piece of junk.

Last edited:
Looks to me like Jay was not "expecting" the same result but rather made a comparative

test.

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

Leopards aren't bad for an inexpensive sport motor. They won't perform on par with the CC/Neu, Neu, Lehner, Plettenberg etc. I've had the same results as Jay in testing.

The T-180 is a surprisingly strong ESC for the money.

As for batteries; IMHO you're better off with one or two good packs and a good charger rather than a stack of the cheaper cells.

Just my .02

Good info. Thanks. This is a for fun boat. I've got a JAE 21 now that is a screamer. Don't want go slower with this boat for sure. Having said that will these less expensive motors out perform the AQ setup? Do I spend more now on powerplant or batteries? Because I would want to upgrade down the road of course.

Thanks again
I am new to FE boats setups, but the thing you need to understand is that the prop and the voltage has everything to do with what motor / batteries / ESC you need.

Basically putting a more efficient motor, a higher amp esc, or better batteries in a boat does not really make it more powerful, the prop has to "pull" the power thru the system. (The more efficient motor and better batteries will make a mild performance increase)

Voltage being the same, you pick the prop to go with the motor to figure the amps. Then your battery and ESC need to be able to handle that amp draw. Also your motor needs to be able to handle the power without making too much heat (more efficient the better)

I would recommend getting the motor & esc you want and then you can ramp up the batteries & prop when you want to optimize your system. Of course you could just get the batteries too and then that just leaves props to test. Faster and faster as you approach your comfort zone while getting to know your motor & ESC.

What is the motor of choice for a full P outrigger? And what cells to go along with?

I am on a limited budget.

Joe
Back to the original question motor and battery.

I do not have an FE rigger but I can tell you what I have seen with a P/spec tunnel and Full P tunnel using some of the afore mentioned equipment in testing and heat racing. Our p/sec and full P are on the same Shaman hull. Only difference is motor/esc and on the full P we use a .45K&B lower over the OS. The OS is strong enough but the size of the K&B makes handling and cornering better. Going from a AQ 2030 / AQ 60 amp controller to a 2000KV 4074 Turnigy and a Swordfish 200 there is a significant difference in performance. The M445 is about as far as you want on an AQ2030 for heats and moving up to a 4074 Turnigy and Leopard 2200kv it still is the heat race prop though these motors can turn more pitch. Keeping in the 5000ma range we don't have enogh battery to pitch up too much and finish 6 lasps. Going to a 4082 leopard 2200KV you accelerate faster and have more power availiable but eat more battery and push the boat to its limits faster. Then you put a 1515 2200kv Neu on and you have power and efficiency.It also has a noticable sound and pitch to it, telling you it is a quality piece of hardware. Like going from a K&B to Nova. From a $85-100 AQ or leopard to a $200 Neu I will now just spend the extra up front on a Neu/Castle. The leopards are very good but the Neu is worth the price to me. In the total rig cost that extra $100 is well spent.

As for batteries I have run Turnigys,Skys,Gens Ace, Thunderpower,Grim Racer and Hyperions. Thats also the order I feel they are in performance wise. The cheapest Turnigys work fine and the difference to the top of the line Hyperions is quality. The Hyperions are going to last much longer and about lap 3 or 4 you may see performance not dropping off. I expect a Turnigy to charge about 100 cycles and 2 to 3 times that with a GR or Hyperion. I have to say the Gen Ace I have are doing very well also. This is just info from my experience testing and racing in the last year.

Mic

Latest posts

Back