full ceramic bearings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

FullCeramic60xx-1.jpg
FullCeramic60xx-2.jpg
Full Ceramic 6000 Ball Bearings, the inner diameter is 10, outer diameter is 26 and the width is 8, this is a popular size that could be used in many applications, Bearings are made of Ceramic.

• Item: 6000 Ball bearings
  • Type: Full Ceramic
  • Quantity: One ball bearing
  • Bearing Size: 10mm x 26mm x 8mm
  • Inner/outer races: ZrO2 Ceramic
  • Balls: ZrO2 Ceramic
  • Cage: PTFE
  • Highest Temperature: 356 °F (degrees fahrenheit) = 180 °C (degrees Celsius)
Any one try this type of bearing. Are thy any good or a wast of money.

David

David there was a thread on this not long ago asking same question from what i remember they said the full ceramic is no good maybe you can ask Don how far bck it was posted.

David there was a thread on this not long ago asking same question from what i remember they said the full ceramic is no good maybe you can ask Don how far bck it was posted.
Yes I have read the thread.

I am trying to see if any one has tried this bearing and if so where thy any good.

Having broken a ceramic knife blade very easily, i wonder how they hold up to the shock loads?

The races will NOT stand up to motor loads. As I recall the speed rating on full ceramics is failr low, but it does depend on which ceramic. The hybrid ceramics are typically Silicon Nitride balls. I'm not familiar with the ZrO2 cedramics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks every one for the input. I think I will for go the attempt to try them. I had a hard time just keeping the carb tight on my MAC .21 at 33000RPM And yes I have logged many runs at this RPM. Just looking for some more.
biggrin.gif

Have herd of some lose bearing setups with ceramic balls any one want to share some insight. Like to build things my self just for the self satisfaction.

David

Having broken a ceramic knife blade very easily, i wonder how they hold up to the shock loads?
Very good point (pardon the pun)

I haven't and probably wouldn't use full ceramics in any motor. About the only place I would consider them would be a top (front) bearing in a outboard configuration where the set would consistently loaded and starving for lubrication.

I have full-ceramic bearings in another installation that runs <= 24krpm in a spindle and they are fantastic with very little run-out.

I think the bottom line is that these critters really aren't as resilient at steel....but they are very good for other applications
CEramics are very good for spindle bearings. But spindle bearings are not typically subjected to any shock loads, and are precision preloaded. It is difficult to preload our motor bearings.

Got some bearings from Boca. Surprised very nice ceramic hybrid Phenolic retainer German made not China. Zwicker 6000 Z THB. Thy seam to roll forever and real smooth.

Will see if thy hold up.

David

nah,, just tryin' to be funny,, tough crowd here :rolleyes:

But most of the engine guys I've talked to say ,"don't use'm" Or "I take a lot of them out"

I've motors ( NR) that they are in..... ceramic rear, and steel front....... the front takes the abuse, and will need replacement far sooner, which upon inspection periodically, warrants so....... I've never had a rear fail, ever. Granted, that when they do go, aluminum/brass, and a hardened rock ball dont get along well toghether..... basically, when you toast a nova, for any drastic reason, there isnt anything left, usable anyway..... and you have made an avoidable error you wish you hadnt........ Replacing with only factory brand bearings, rod, and wristpin diligence, and serious maintenance applications equal longetivity..... thanks Arch!

The little extra they give is there, for i have engines, steel, and ceramic...... and they differ.......

The pictured bearing may warrant a try..... I have thoughts, that with todays fuels, and synthetic oils burning so clean, that, we forget to leave a little there for the bearing and its starving self..... castor may be old school, but, if i were to have full ceramics, i'd have some in my fuel........

J dub, has it down!...... For it does go like that..... ZZZZZZZ zzzzzzz zzz zz ping zzzzzzrrrrrt. makes your stomach crawl........ unmistakeable...... he's built enough, that the silence after 'prolly doesnt phase him anymore......

Checkin out of Holiday Inn......... didnt sleep well last night...... good luck... post results.... Mike

They did use ceramics in the model jet turbines tho,, up to 200,000 R's,, thats perdy good press, yeah?

I have a steal on the fly weel end and ceramic at the front. Going to break in
huh.gif
The new setup this weekend. Have a race coming up on the 17 and 18. Maybe it will run this time on race day.

Colline is very temperamental. Heck made here new gator shoes and a new rebuilt eng. She better not give me any S$!t.
mad.gif

Bringing the wife this time to keep her in line.
laugh.gif

David

nah,, just tryin' to be funny,, tough crowd here :rolleyes:

But most of the engine guys I've talked to say ,"don't use'm" Or "I take a lot of them out"
I know Glenn Quarles sells ceramic bearings for the Novarossi engines, and the bearings are blueprinted by installing ceramic balls with the proper clearence. Just a thought. :blink: Richard D

Ran the hybrid ones today. No problems yet revs real nice need to move the pipe in a little and see where it will go.

On the bench heat cycle the carb over cammed and stuck wide open.
ohmy.gif
That is a noise you can not believe.
blink.gif
If it lived threw that I think I am good.

biggrin.gif

David

Back