Frankenstein Pipes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

I have a bunch of old pipes laying around and I want to experiment using the MH AeroTools tuned pipe program. What I want to do is cut some in half, and change them around, or cut out a little belly, shorten the cones, lengthen the stingers, etc. Then reassemble them. Problem is, I don't have the stuff to weld aluminum and it's kinda pricey for just messing around. What is a reliable method for re-attaching the aluminum cones together that can resist heat? Will epoxy and glass hold up? May JBweld? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
What about that "alumawed" (I think that is what it is called) stuff? Supposedly you can weld aluminum with a small propane torch using it. I have never tried it myself though

I was talking to a well know boater one night, and the same subject came up. He said he had used epoxy and cloth to reassemble some pipes. I have done this to a couple of pipes, and it seems to work quite well. Drew

I don't think I would try to weld them. I have welded a little on aluminum and it gets so hot is just melts away if it is thin like the pipes are. That and when you think you want a little you get a lot. It is not the easiest stuff to weld with.I also had a welding shop in town attempt to weld a pipe I was trying to fix years ago and they said it was real difficult to weld it without blowing holes through it.

With a bit of asking around you should be able to find a local guy that will weld the prepared cones for only a few bucks. I found one real quick here in Huntsville. Let him know you will be back for many more weld jobs, bring him a cooler of drinks. Lots of times the local would let me set up the cones for welding in his shop while he was on another job, then would weld my stuff when he finished the other job. Lots of times he did small welds for free. Spend some time looking and don't agree for the usual dollar an inch ploy. Good hunting!!!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Hey wade, that Alumiweld might just work. The website says you can weld an aluminum soda can with it without burning through the can. Interesting. The working temps are low at 728 degrees F, so a propane torch will work. I believe that's about 300 degrees F higher than our nitro exhaust temps, so should be fine. Says you can do all kinds of repairs to aluminum. Like fix a damaged turn fin, or fix stripped screw holes in aluminum engine cases?

Price is $25 for a half pound plus shipping. Anyone interested in splitting an order with me? :p

AlumiWeld Site

Alumiweld works great if you have a way to get metal hot enough . Yes you can weld every thin stuff with a lp torch but may need some thing hotter for pipes . Make sure every bit of oil is out of pipe and you need a stainless steel wire brush that will never be used for any thing else but Alum. Scott

Ive welded pipes using the stuff & it holds up allright, a bit of a pain to get it done but needs to be polished up afterward. Propane will do pipes but the heavier stuff takes more heat. Heliarc is the best way but the material is so thin on a pipe & makes the job next to inmpossible using this method unless its one of the thicker pipes.......

mike

Mike,

How good is this stuff. I've been fabricating and welding aluminium for 12 years in the petroleum road transport industry and have heard about this stuff but if it's so good as it says why do welding shops spend thousands of dollars on TIG and MIG welding equipment when they can use the 'good ol' oxy set. <_<

I looked at the site and it says can be used on props in the marine section. Yeh sure, I'll just go weld that blade back on that blew off and got stuck in a rock last year. :D

If it works well, like a TIG, OK fine but I have to see it to believe it. One last thing, does the weld end up looking as though it's been air-raided or like it's been bronzed with real bronzing rods?

THat alumiweld works ok with propane torch.

I did see a guy at shipshawana weld 2 pop cans tougher.

LOL I had to have it.

I got some rod for a arc welder, it will weld alum as well.

its expencive tho,

BOTH Takes LOTS OF PRACTICE.

Tom

Shhh.....don't tell anyone. I use Alumaweld to make my own stuff. :ph34r:

Propane works for most stuff. I use a refillable 'pencil torch' for really thin stock, and MAPP gas for really thick aluminum (1/4"). You can get MAPP gas (methylacetlyne propanide....I think) at Wal-Mart. It comes in a yellow tank and uses regular propane torch heads.

Here's a rigger strut made from 3/16" flat stock and an aluminum tube from a yard reflector.

Exhaust header....(no it's not a Mac's. Looks like one though)

I also built a really trick air filter housing for my Brother's Nova when he was racing with a Predator carb. Used the MAPP on it and a discarded road sign.

Propjockey said:
Shhh.....don't tell anyone. I use Alumaweld to make my own stuff. :ph34r:
Propane works for most stuff. I use a refillable 'pencil torch' for really thin stock, and MAPP gas for really thick aluminum (1/4"). You can get MAPP gas (methylacetlyne propanide....I think) at Wal-Mart. It comes in a yellow tank and uses regular propane torch heads.

Here's a rigger strut made from 3/16" flat stock and an aluminum tube from a yard reflector.
Hey PJ, looks good. Can ya get the stuff locally, or do you have to have it shipped? Where might I look for some around town?

N2B...Octura 1938 tweaked by Props-4-U. It's nice, but THIS is the wicked one! Octura V937/3...same treatment.

Clay...I get it from a local auto parts store. 25 cents for a 18" stick. Kinda pricey, but I don't use a lot on this small stuff.

Latest posts

Back