Flow Meters and/or 3rd Channel Mixtures

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

I've been wanting to build a flowmeter for years, but with the use of third channel adjustable needles, it hasn't been a priority for me.

I'm curious as to what is the benefit of using a flowmeter for the guys who also use third channel mixtures? I don't own a twin. In the case of a twin setup, the benefit of a meter is obvious. But for singles, what are the added benefits? thx

Regards, Clay

ClayGlover said:
I've been wanting to build a flowmeter for years, but with the use of third channel adjustable needles, it hasn't been a priority for me.
I'm curious as to what is the benefit of using a flowmeter for the guys who also use third channel mixtures?  I don't own a twin.  In the case of a twin setup, the benefit of a meter is obvious.  But for singles, what are the added benefits?  thx

Regards,  Clay

112725[/snapback]

If you own a twin a flow meter is a must. But for singles it can help i.d. a sudden running problem like a clogged needle or filter. :)

Something else Clay...

If you are good about taking notes and flowing your engines regularly, needle changes expecially progressively richer settings for the same conditions usually indicate bearings going south WAY BEFORE you are able to tell by feel etc.

Rich

The time I use it the most is when I go to a race out of town. I usually don't run open water ( demolition derby time !). So I set my needle on the bench with my flow meter, then fine tune it on the lake during mill time with the 3rd needle.

I find using it this way is invaluable.

Brian

Rich Z said:
Something else Clay...If you are good about taking notes and flowing your engines regularly, needle changes expecially progressively richer settings for the same conditions usually indicate bearings going south WAY BEFORE you are able to tell by feel etc.

Rich

112733[/snapback]

Knowing where to set the mid range of the 3rd channel needle is what I use the flow meter for. My Mac 45 is 5.7 with 97 air density for example. I can set up a new boat needle without going to the pond. It helps the confidence meter too, when you feel sure you have all the range you need going into a race.

Steve Hearl was having problems getting a needle on his sport 40. Precision third channel, mac .45. Couldn't figure it out. The servo moved the valve control just like it's supposed to. Hooked up a flow meter and solved the problem immediately. The control arm moved, but the connection to the needle was loose and the needle wasn't moving, or moved sporatically. The flow meter didn't change with the arm moving, which let us know immediatly the problem. Tightened up the connection and all was fine.

Don Riek

John Finch said:
Knowing where to set the mid range of the 3rd channel needle is what I use the flow meter for.  My Mac 45 is 5.7 with 97 air density for example.  I can set up a new boat needle without going to the pond.  It helps the confidence meter too, when you feel sure you have all the range you need going into a race.
How about using one to determine that the front bearing was shot, leaking air, on a Mac .45 in Sport 40?

Back