Flat Versus Curved Tunnel Roof...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kez - yes, you have it right. A shallower tunnel will definitely generate more lift than a deeper tunnel. The tendancy to ‘blow over’ can be caused by several design issues, though. For example, if your hull is simply dynamically unstable due to the location of forces, then reducing lift will not necessarily solve the problem.

GT – reducing the tunnel height (making it shallower) will INCREASE the lift generated. There isn’t a “rule of thumb”, though…that’s what I’ve spent all the years of research developing. TBDP software incorporates all the design relationships and algorithms for calculations. STBD book explains how to do all the calculations, including examples.

Gene – the ‘volume’ in the tunnel does not directly influence the lift generated. The lift is a function of total plan area of the wing (width X chord length), aspect ratio of the wing, thickness of the wing, and height of the wing above the surface. Of course, the performance characteristics are also influenced by aerofoil shape, angle of attack and velocity too.

Izi - actually, the lift/drag ratio effects of a lower height above surface is not really exponential, but it is heavily influenced by the height. The changes to L/D due to h/c (height vs. chord length) are different for wings of varying aspect ratio and thickness and shape.

Hmmmmmmm.....Well I gonna go over my notes again and think over this new info with my coffee in da morning, Yes, Yes, much clearer mind then ;)

Gene ;D

Still thinkin, Coffee didnt help............... :p

Back