First Run help req

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Mortlock

Any advice appreciated,Ran in for the first time today and ran it slowly.

Few probs i had was restarting the engine it has a very tight spot at tdc and the starter struggled to turn it over at times ,is this normal, it ran a tank of fuel then i had problems going again.when i did i ran it dry and put some oil in and packed up.not sure if i flooded it or good compression causing it to struggle to start or what.The needle was about 3.5 turns out and the low speed needle i havnt touched.the other prob was the starter i have runs anti clockwise so i reversed the connections so it ran clockwise is this the norm.When the plugs out and the carb open it rolls over perfectly no tight spot. starter rolled it over no probs?

any imput greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
What engine are you running? Is it new? How's the plug look?

the other prob was the starter i have runs anti clockwise so i reversed the connections so it ran clockwise is this the norm.
Yes, that's normal.......

Russell Bear said:
What engine are you running?  Is it new?  How's the plug look?
the other prob was the starter i have runs anti clockwise so i reversed the connections so it ran clockwise is this the norm.
Yes, that's normal.......

68147[/snapback]

7.5cc k&b yes its new.plugs new

New engines are extremally tight, and over the course of 3 or so tanks it loosens alot. You will want to run at least 5 tanks of break in, turning the needle 1/8 turn a tank to provide the best performance. Break in is very important and running it too rich right away may lead to a blown engine! :unsure:

Phil ;) :) B)

Like the other guys said this is normal....I asked the same question last year about my 7.5 pro...it was so tight, the starter wouldnt turn it over...used about a half a can of WD 40 to just get it to turn over, but its loosens up after a few tanks. Just run it rich and lean it out alittle at a time after each run The starter cable does go on backwards to the starter battery

Loosen your glow plug some will help you get it started, just be ready to tighten it up before you pick the boat up off the stand

Pennywizz6 said:
Break in is very important and running it too rich right away may lead to a blown engine!  Phil ;)   :)   B)
68199[/snapback]

What the? I think you mean running it too lean? I run my engines in so rich they will not clean out at all. I then work down to a closer needle setting to normal after a few litres of fuel have gone thru it.

Back