FE Whiplash prop size ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a though, are you cells up to the job? I know Truckpull was running a 7XL with 4s and getting over 50mph. I see that you are running 20c cells on a 7XL so maybe your voltage is dropping down to far under a load. Have you tried a Data logger to see if the cells are keeping up? What brand Lipo's are you running? So far MOST of the Whips I have seen setup and running are using 4s2p lipo.

Ray haven't got a data logger at present waiting for some spare funds to order one :( ( spent to much on new boats lately )

I would like to run 4s2p, but under our current rules we run under for Trans-Tasman challenge class im stuck with 4s1p, untill we can bring some Austrailian's up to speed to run 4s2p :rolleyes:

The brand on the Lipo is Jack Power actually 22c with 40c burst, but you could be right on the voltage dropping.

good to here CG from Brian

Looks like it's back to building a smaller lighter hydro for this motor/cell combo and order a Neu motor with 4s2p to run in the Whip

Thanks for your input

Jason

Did somebody runnig FE Whiplash 40. I have one on order. I like to try run on Mega 22/45/2 and 24 Nimh cells or 6C lipo, but I am not sure with this.

Any ideas please?

Vlad-sr

Well i thought i would try something to make sure my motor/speed controller/cells were all still ok, i put all the running gear into my Delta force 29.5 .

Tried the 7XL first, ran ok except for what i could describe as missing sound ( motor revs werent constant at full throttle) has anyone heard of this before ?

speed was 38.88 mph on X637

Plugged the speed controller onto the castle link to check settings all where ok

Put the 9XL into my Delta went back down the pond no missing sound (motor revs slower hard to tell )

speed was 46.48 mph on M445 prop

Delta Force weighs 5.3 pound RTR

Definitely looks like the Whip is to heavy for the little XL motors , which is a shame :(

Bigger power plant to come to get it to go ;)

Definitely looks like the Whip is to heavy for the little XL motors , which is a shame :( Bigger power plant to come to get it to go ;)

My Wip runs just fine at over 60MPH with

Hacker 7XL

CC125 -ESC

X640 - detounghed

The magnets in the cheaper $70.00 XL motors are not as good as the HACKER Motors.

Also the magnets in the Hacker Motors are good up to 180 Degrees F.

If you have ever got your N_ _ _ . or F _ _ _ . XL motor over 130 Deg. F.

It may now NOT be up to the task.

There is a reason that Hacker motors cost over $250.00 and NOT $70.00

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gas Whip, which runs electric.....is sensitive to the strut depth. If you go too high the prop just won't bite.

The magnets in the cheaper $70.00 XL motors are not as good as the HACKER Motors.Also the magnets in the Hacker Motors are good up to 180 Degrees F.

If you have ever got your N_ _ _ . or F _ _ _ . XL motor over 130 Deg. F.

It may now NOT be up to the task.

There is a reason that Hacker motors cost over $250.00 and NOT $70.00

Larry
Larry i would like to run the more expensive motors , but under our Trans-Tasman rules that we use for this class, we can only use a motor with max dollar value of $150.00 AUD ( works out close to $136.00 USD )

just means will have to try a smaller lighter hull for the combination im running, i built the Whip strong to withstand the flips/crashes it's possibly going to see with a bigger motor, tried to make dual purpose boat but that never works (should have learn't that from glow boats in the past )

Thanks for your feedback on the cheap XL motors,i have had my 9XL temp at 135 deg F so maybe it time to order a new one

AlanN i have found that to with the strut depth on the Whip

Jason

Let me know what Heath has for strut depth cg etc
Jason,

My whip weighs in at an even 6 pounds RTR

thats with a Nue 1515 1Y B125(fan cooled) 5xIB1400 receiver pack and 4s1p 5000 TP lipos...

Best prop i've found so far is a m445.. Not sure on exact speed but it's no slouch :)

COG is at 2" and strut depth is 16mm from the bottom of hull to bottom of strut,( i use a flat base strut) .. with the slightest of downward angle..

Hope this helps

Heath

Thanks Heath,

interesting that is the last strut depth i have tried, Cog is about 1 3/4" back, it ran bit better but still not up there on speed

pullin all hardware out shortly and upgrading to a Neu 1521/1.5D running on 4S2P 4500Mah 22c cells.

for sport running at our club

that will get the thing well over 60mph ;)

Jason

Jason, just wondering how you are making out with your Whiplash. I am running mine on 4s2p with a Hacker 7XL motor and while it runs pretty good its not fast enough to make me smile. I truely think it is because like you I built mine heavy. I ordered a 1515 1Y motor for mine yesterday and I think that will make a big difference for sure.

Raydee i have been a bit slack lately put the Whip aside while doing other projects, with winter coming on i will order a motor and speed controller ( motor is definitely to be a NEU 1521 1.5D, ESC still undecided )

Your Whip is looking really good, have you done any GPS readings on the Hacker ?

Raydee i have been a bit slack lately put the Whip aside while doing other projects, with winter coming on i will order a motor and speed controller ( motor is definitely to be a NEU 1521 1.5D, ESC still undecided )Your Whip is looking really good, have you done any GPS readings on the Hacker ?
No I haven't done much yet...I only had it out a couple times and both times were with a small X637 prop. I plan on radaring it this weekend if the weather holds up.

No I haven't done much yet...I only had it out a couple times and both times were with a small X637 prop. I plan on radaring it this weekend if the weather holds up.
Well good luck with the weather i would be interested to see what speeds it does ;)

Just to let you all know had another go with this boat perserving with the fegaio motors

Lastest setup running

Jackpower 5300mah 25/50c 4S1P lipo

and 8XL motor

Castle Hydra 120

strut set so runs parallel with bottom and set to same depth as sponsons

COG 40mm back from sponsons

Running an Octura X442/2 prop speeds 52.20MPH on GPS

Temps after 6 laps of full course (100m straights)

Lipos 118 deg F

motor 138 deg f

Esc 112 deg f

also ran a few other props in testing

the best being modded prop of around 47mm dia speeds 57.7MPH on GPS

Temps after 4 laps where

Lipos 127 deg F

motor 140 deg F

Esc 120 def F

It just goes to show that once set up the Whiplash is a good boat

and the cheaper motors do work well :)

It just goes to show that once set up the Whiplash is a good boat and the cheaper motors do work well
No surprise there. The Whip holds the NAMBA SAW record in P Sport at 93 mph, and I once set a P Hydro record with a Feiago at over 85 - with nickel cells. Good work with that Whip!

Back