F1 tunnel 2011 design

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think im just gonna center it up after seeking advice from a top fellow builder.

I do it to reduce the prop torque and has worked no probs on all my other hulls,but maybe cos this 1 runs more aired out maybe that why its doing it.

Your hull looks very nice and running by itself seems to perform very well. You have done a nice job and may be overthinking some things. The real test will be how it does in traffic, actually racing. Thats where you will really learn and make the changes in setup to be a great race boat. Set up a course and time laps, make changes and see what works to run faster times. If you have races in your area, enter and see where you stack up. FE tunnel boats are up and coming and you may need to go back to a 4S spec 2030KV Aquacraft motor as thats the primary FE class being raced. With work and props they can run into the 50's. Open FE tunnel is run a few places in the east and not sure where you are from. Love the scale appearance. A couple threads here on FE tunnels and different motor/battery combinations. We are all FE new and learning from each other so keep sharing results.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mic

im looking at doing a 28"-29" for 4s spec.as this seems to be the common sizes if im correct!!!!!

the biggest problem is tunnel lovers & racers are few far between here in the uk.

Infact i dont even know of another tunnel builder here,and im on alot of forums.

There is isnt a full out tunnel race class,i wish there was believe me,id love to see how it would compete and do round a course.

We cant put bouys out in that pool i run,its a crop pool and just have free use of use by the farmer which is good,we get no hassle LOL

as for over thinking im always doing it,my missus goes mad LOL,but i try and think out of the box and push for new development and try new things,like the sponson design on this build was something i thought alot about and just had to try it,but took some working out,but so far it's working.

It gets abit boring running on my own to be fair but i dont let that stop me,my mate runs a mono and an old 1 of my F1's but his F1 is shelved till he can get a new flexi but even then its alot slower only running 3s so would be hard to have an even race.and his mono is his pride and joy so wont run while im in the water.

Outboards and flexis etc are so hard to get here aswell so thats where im gonna struggle and import tax,VAT etc bumps the price so high its expensive

Thanks guys,was hoping too run again this coming weekend but my friend coming round and doing the CAD work so i can get the 1st laser cut hull built and see if i need to make any changes.just have to wait and see.

Thanks all :)

Darren,

It is too bad you don't have others in the UK to run against as your love of tunnels comes through in your work. If you can set up a course similar to the 1/6th mile course we run, then at least lap times would give you an idea of your performance. We run 2 lap times at our Brandon tunnel events and so far the record for P-spec is 34.90 seconds held by Jimmy Duncan. That said I have timmed Jeff Westbrook at some back to back high 14 second laps on the same course, That would be a 29 + second two lap and I am sure he and others will be lined up in November to take Jimmys official course record. If you break 30 seconds you have a very fast tunnel. Jimmy's time was not as fast as he can run either. So you may not be able to race others locally but you can race the clock. Thees guys are as fast as anyone here in ther US.

Mic

Hi mic

ill see what i can do see if i can find another pool with a course already laid out,if not il try and sort somthing soon before winter hits us,which is not far away LOL

Ill keep you posted on how i get on ;)

Thanks marc,ill defo keep you posted for sure,hoping to run again very soon and play around with the setup some more :D

try a x645 or even a x642 i have had better results with these props makeing the boat more stable the last vid i saw it was a handfull and a half. i use a 2200kv castle motor on a vision 40 and its was a handfull but with the x642 its so much nicer and good speeds around the 58-62 depending on the day..

Hey sneaky,im gonna borrow my mates x440/3 on next run just to see.

hes using it on his mono at min and faster top than the x442 or m445,the boat is more stable and not as much heat issue,hes running leopard 3674,1900 kv on 5s in a 37" hull and hits the 50mph,either that or i might get a 442/3,im just playing around with for now to see best setup i can,funds are tight at mo being out of work,sortta why im hoping i get to get this 1 sorted,and maybe start selling some to fund next design and build and step up in development.

as for being a handfull some of that is down to me just trying to push the limits of the hull,how tight a turn will do,hitting the throttle early to see what sort of reaction i get from the boat and general pratting around/having fun at the same time.

But gotta say the hull is strong,not a mark,crack or anything on it and with stood everything i through at it so thats a good solid way i build these hulls.

Me and friend just working on the CAD at mo,im hoping to order the 1st kit soon,but ill keep this 1 and set it up for testing again,ill even do a build thread aswell if you guys are interested.

Rgds Daz

Hi all,managed to finally get out and run this build again

1st run was with M445 prop the same as before didnt get a vid sorry

These lot of vids was with a X440/3 blade,what a difference but completely changed the handling of the hull for sure,i was making small adjustments hence the short vids but on the last vid snapped the flexi at stubshaft so that ended the session,but it was mainly for fun before the weather turns and wont be able to run for weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
agree,but not much local big pools at mo,the main lake closet by has been drained for repair work on the dam

But there was alot of water missing from this pool,if you look the brown rim halfway up the bank is where the waterline normally is so reduce the running surface aswell

Back