Engine temperature

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser7000

Hi folks. Just wondering what temperature your engines typically run when tweaked for top performance "on pipe"

on my ob's, i shoot for 200 degrees. with water cooling, it's easier to keep constant temps, unlike planes or cars/trucks.

If you can grab the head of the engine after it comes in from a run and hold onto it for more than two seconds, its too cold.....................

Dick Tyndall

or in the case of a Novarossi, if you grab hold of it and don't hear a sizzling sound, it's too cold. :D

Thanks for the help fellas. So when breaking in an engine what temp should I try to keep it at & then after breakin what temp can I tune too. Is 180*F good for breakin & 200*F for top tune?

I do appreciate all your help. It's tuff being a newbie.

at least 180 for break in, 200 for running. 200 leaves a little room for too lean or picking up some trash that may restrict water flow. the car & truck boys see 220 to 240 kinda regular...........

at least 180 for break in, 200 for running. 200 leaves a little room for too lean or picking up some trash that may restrict water flow. the car & truck boys see 220 to 240 kinda regular...........
Thanks again everyone for all your input. I am really enjoying this forum.

Bruiser,

Sizzling is good, around 200 to 220. Heat crayons work very well also.

Works Very Well For Us,

Mark Sholund

check with a welding supply. look like a carpenter's crayon, they're designed to melt or change colors at specific temps. i use an infrared thermometer/temp sensor. got mine at radio shack for about $20. the crayons should work well, also, except i like to get my readings right by the glow plug, down inside the cooling jacket. might be kinda tight to use the crayon.

check with a welding supply. look like a carpenter's crayon, they're designed to melt or change colors at specific temps. i use an infrared thermometer/temp sensor. got mine at radio shack for about $20. the crayons should work well, also, except i like to get my readings right by the glow plug, down inside the cooling jacket. might be kinda tight to use the crayon.
Thanks for the inforamtion moparbarn

Back