Engine Hardware for JAE 12g

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Drust

Hi, I am new here and was sent over by another member. He said this was the best place for R/C boat info, and I can see he was right about that.

I am building a JAE 12g (my first nitro kit boat) and I need to get some parts for it.

I have an O.S. .12CV engine I plan to use in it and I need some recommendations on an exhaust system for it. I also need an idea what flywheel and collet I should get. I bought the .150 flex shaft with the 3/16 stub shaft direct from Zipkits when I got the boat.

My old boat (ProBoat BlackJack 26SS) has a Macs header and pipe. I really like them but since I did not purchase them myself I have no clue what models the previous owner bought. If there is something more affordable I am open to suggestion.

I have no intention to race this boat (at this point that is), but wanted to get my feet wet with an outrigger and hope to have a reliable setup.

Here is where I am at so far...

construction-01.JPG

construction-02.JPG

construction-03.JPG

i would use the solinger motor mounts.zippkits sells them also u can get rest of your hardware from them also.most everyone is using the rossi motor,header,pipe from glenn.look for the threads that guys are posting to see what pipes there using.keep up the good work boat looking good.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem is everyone seems to be using rear exhaust engines, and mine is side exhaust. I would love to get a better engine when I have the cash, but for now I need to stick with what I already have. I am halfway considering this muffler, but have no clue what its performance would be like or if it would just be a waste of money...

http://www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=OSM21225000&itemname=muffler_871_10-_15

the rossi is side exhaust.that is for airplanes dont get it.pm me

Eric, was I the one who sent you over here? I've had a lot of members from RCU that have been signing up here at it's easier for them to ask those in the know questions directly than to keep answering them there. I only know most people by their screen names.

Anyway, for side exhaust you can use a Mac Products header and even their #1011 pipe. I don't have the header number handy but you'll want the one that sticks out the least.

Your not the only one using a side exhaust engine as we have one in here using an .18 from an Aquacraft and another using a NR/Picco .12. If you're not racing or even if you are, the OS isn't a bad engine. If it wasn't for me buying a NR then the one that you have would be on my list of other choices.

My problem is everyone seems to be using rear exhaust engines, and mine is side exhaust. I would love to get a better engine when I have the cash, but for now I need to stick with what I already have. I am halfway considering this muffler, but have no clue what its performance would be like or if it would just be a waste of money...

http://www.myatomic....fler_871_10-_15
You can get the MAC's product direct.

http://www.macspro.com/marinetunedpipes.asp

Joe Solinger is on here and he has the engine mount, rudder and flywheel. http://www.solingerrc.com/

biggrin.gif

Zach

eric i have the mac's pipe also.let me know if u want the dynamite .15 with header and exhaust or the mac's pipe or the header and exhaust that came off my gc10gt that will fit your motor.

Thanks for all the help guys. No Ron, someone else sent me here, but I bet it was just a matter of time before you did!

Below is a photo of my engine. I need a flywheel which will fit that shaft, and a collet for a .150 flex shaft. ww29 is sending me some parts, one of which is a flywheel, but I don't know if it is compatible with this O.S. engine. I am having a hell of a time finding a suitable collet online.

12cv-1.JPG

all u need is a collet for the dynamite and u will have a complete motor,header,pipe. :D make sure u take the backplate off u motor and use it.

Here is a better shot of the whole thing. I still have to cut down the header. I plan to go with the solinger mount, but I am sure I will have to hack it up to fit the tiger drive.

12cv-6.JPG

OK, you're going to need the spacer if you have it to go between the block and flywheel preferably. I've use an OS 1-D flywheel on mine but an Aquacraft .18 flywheel will work also. The Pro Boat cable collet may be an easier one to get for you otherwise an Octura does the job. I'm advising these as most any hobby shop can get them for you or order from Tower Hobbies.

If you're staying with the Tiger Drive, leave the cover off as it's more hassle than what it's worth. You really don't need it for running on the water anyway.

Now, if you really want to wake that thing up, find someone who can turn down a Nova Rossi .12 or .21 carb down to (I think) 11mm to make it fit on your block. I'd swear that I gained an easy 5 MPH with just that change. An OS .18 carb might do the same thing as they (and we) aren't restricted to ROAR standards of a 5.5mm carb bore on the .12's.

I think I have the spacer (mini flywheel looking with swirl teeth?)

It looks like getting the engine in there with the tigerdrive may be more hassle than it is worth. I have an endcover for the engine to go with belt starting, but just found another glitch. The pull start crank has an extension for the pull start on it. Do I have to get a new crank, or can I cut this off the crank? I assume the crank is balanced, but I don't know how critical it is, since the connecting rod and piston flying all around is hardly balanced (I am not an engine guy so I am pretty clueless in this area). A new crank is probably the best bet though, as I can then use this engine in something else later on with the pull start.

Where can I get the Octura cable collet, as I can't find it at Tower Hobbies.

I think I have the spacer (mini flywheel looking with swirl teeth?)

It looks like getting the engine in there with the tigerdrive may be more hassle than it is worth. I have an endcover for the engine to go with belt starting, but just found another glitch. The pull start crank has an extension for the pull start on it. Do I have to get a new crank, or can I cut this off the crank? I assume the crank is balanced, but I don't know how critical it is, since the connecting rod and piston flying all around is hardly balanced (I am not an engine guy so I am pretty clueless in this area). A new crank is probably the best bet though, as I can then use this engine in something else later on with the pull start.

Where can I get the Octura cable collet, as I can't find it at Tower Hobbies.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfh5mm15

Check the thread size.

Zach

Eric, that motor should work out ok. I have one just like it from my RC 10GT! I also have a Mugen MT .12 that I could have used but I went with the Nova that Glenn Quarles sells. Have you thought about using the RC 10GT truck pipe with your motor?

-Kent

think I have the spacer (mini flywheel looking with swirl teeth?)

Yup, that's the part!

Eric, that motor should work out ok. I have one just like it from my RC 10GT! I also have a Mugen MT .12 that I could have used but I went with the Nova that Glenn Quarles sells. Have you thought about using the RC 10GT truck pipe with your motor?-Kent
I am willing to try any exhaust system, including that one. At this point I think I have the exhaust covered for now. ww29 is sending me a RTR exhaust from a boat he had.

Do you guys use gaskets on your exhaust header? My last boat did not have one, but I bought a Dynamite .15 gasket and now the engine no longer sprays nitro everywhere. I figured it would be a good idea on this boat as well.

Sure, use the gaskets. I've been having the best luck with the ones from Team Associated but those from Traxxas or Team Losi should do the job also.

Back