Engine, Gasket Material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not gonna argue with that.

im just saying that if somebody wants to try and lets say they run a stock engine and get 70mph top speed then they modify it by "hacking" on it and roll up on 90mph should they pack it in because "so-n-so" didnt use no fancy cnc lathe to do it for them? can they run their own mods or just give up?

its a hobby n i cant imagine anybody else touching my boats or engine for any reason. otherwise whats the point

I can remember sitting on the tailgate of my truck at the boat pond years ago. Don Pinkert and I were eating sandwiches for lunch. Don picked up a .45 I had laying on the tailgate and said something I will never forget "Eric, there has never been a device so simple, that so many men have made so complicated".

Thanks for much of the constructive input, insight and support here. Before I posted here I made an effort to do a little research on gasket materials. I browsed through a few manufacturer's web-sites. I was totally overwhelmed with the (hundreds) of various types of gasket materials, for example:

http://www.auburn-mfg.com/gasket-material.html

So, before I went any further I thought I'd throw it here and get some input.

As I've mentioned I own a number of brand-new in-the-box never-run (1980's) vintage Rossi R65/R80 and Picco P67/P80 marines engines. Most of which were purchased back in the mid-1980's (I was in my late 20's at the time). These engines have been stored in my garage ever since, enduring stifling heat. Upon disassembling a few I noticed the gaskets were cracked/split (although I was'nt surpised). Also, certain models would require updated rods (bushed on both ends), and so on. At first I thought not even mess with these engines, just get rid (sell) them. Later I figured I'll just make use of them. So I've just been taking my time, carefully re-building 4 or 5 engines, [cleanly]. I've sent a few crankshafts to Scott Bouchie for balancing. A few custom fabricated carbs, and so on. This way I'm becoming a little more versed in engine set-up. Actually, I enjoy working on these older engines. I have a collection of original hulls for which these engines were intended.

I've been slowly getting back into RC boats the last 5 or 6 years. Inch-by-inch, month-by-month, year-by-year. In between surgeries, hospital stays, and physical therapy. Been on a "roller-coaster". So things have been happening in spurts for me. I take things as they come. In the mean-time, when I get a chance, I jump over to Legg Lake and catch a race here and there, which really "restores" my excitement for this unique passion. So I've updated my radio gear, engines (NovaRossi's, CMB's, etc.,...), hulls, and so on. This way I can "re-learn" set-up and driving with my older boats, then switch to the newer gear.

I've been around RC modeling for a long time. I came up the traditional route through Control Line, RC airplanes, RC cars,. But really fell in love with RC boats around 1971. Last time I ran a boat was 1988, NAMBA District 19 Heat Race. Dreaming of getting a boat in the water.............

Did not mean to have this turn in to the **** storm it did.

But some time you have to just stand up to the bully's and speak your mind.

you all keep on keeping on..........................

See you at the pond......................

A bully, not hardly, I detest bullies. I also detest ANYONE that tries to give anyone else, especially someone that is just learning, false information.

I know how much extra work that can cause, I was on the receiving end of that when I first got into boating.

Other than that, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.

I am through, have a good life.

Charles

I can remember sitting on the tailgate of my truck at the boat pond years ago. Don Pinkert and I were eating sandwiches for lunch. Don picked up a .45 I had laying on the tailgate and said something I will never forget "Eric, there has never been a device so simple, that so many men have made so complicated".
X2... We have and do run without gasket's on some engines. Both part's Must be flat...and keep an eye for ANY leak's/vibration marks. Seen gasket's leak also with a tiny tear or rip if not careful. If you do not keep an eye on your engines,check them frequently,then yes use a gasket.

Thanks for much of the constructive input, insight and support here. Before I posted here I made an effort to do a little research on gasket materials. I browsed through a few manufacturer's web-sites. I was totally overwhelmed with the (hundreds) of various types of gasket materials, for example:

http://www.auburn-mfg.com/gasket-material.html

So, before I went any further I thought I'd throw it here and get some input.

As I've mentioned I own a number of brand-new in-the-box never-run (1980's) vintage Rossi R65/R80 and Picco P67/P80 marines engines. Most of which were purchased back in the mid-1980's (I was in my late 20's at the time). These engines have been stored in my garage ever since, enduring stifling heat. Upon disassembling a few I noticed the gaskets were cracked/split (although I was'nt surpised). Also, certain models would require updated rods (bushed on both ends), and so on. At first I thought not even mess with these engines, just get rid (sell) them. Later I figured I'll just make use of them. So I've just been taking my time, carefully re-building 4 or 5 engines, [cleanly]. I've sent a few crankshafts to Scott Bouchie for balancing. A few custom fabricated carbs, and so on. This way I'm becoming a little more versed in engine set-up. Actually, I enjoy working on these older engines. I have a collection of original hulls for which these engines were intended.

I've been slowly getting back into RC boats the last 5 or 6 years. Inch-by-inch, month-by-month, year-by-year. In between surgeries, hospital stays, and physical therapy. Been on a "roller-coaster". So things have been happening in spurts for me. I take things as they come. In the mean-time, when I get a chance, I jump over to Legg Lake and catch a race here and there, which really "restores" my excitement for this unique passion. So I've updated my radio gear, engines (NovaRossi's, CMB's, etc.,...), hulls, and so on. This way I can "re-learn" set-up and driving with my older boats, then switch to the newer gear.

I've been around RC modeling for a long time. I came up the traditional route through Control Line, RC airplanes, RC cars,. But really fell in love with RC boats around 1971. Last time I ran a boat was 1988, NAMBA District 19 Heat Race. Dreaming of getting a boat in the water.............
Great link to Auburn for gasket materials ! Get back in the water soon !

Okay guys, let's look at this using logic and nothing else:

1) Gaskets are used to two things, adjusting clearances and filling gaps

2) Your standard sheet of printer paper is .0035" thick, until coated with oil, then it swells up . It can be used for gaskets, just trace and cut before oiling

3) You can adjust thickness by using different thickness and/or types of paper

4) As said above, other products are available that work such as the Permatex listed above, brass, copper, even rubber and mylar tape(been there seen that)

5) Use whatever you want, it's all good

6) spend your free time burning nitro and have fun

I don't use gasket on any engine I ever owned. Also all

My engines are modified some modified by Joe warren (CMB 101RS) and some modified by David Wilfong CMB 67, Nelson 45, CMB 45 VAC's (twin 45). No fancy machine was used to modify my engines but someone with knowledge and skill can do great work and they all run killer on my boats as some of you have seen personally or thru my videos on YouTube.

Also all my engines have zoom carbs thanks to my friend Charles. With the right mods by David Wilfong and Joe Warren plus some great zoom carbs it's a great combination that produces power, fuel burn and consistency on my boats.

All three of you guys David, Joe and Charles mentioned on my post believe it or not are working together not directly but indirectly making great engine combos that are great on my boats.

Julian

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently cut out 100s of Picco 67/80 case gaskets. In paper & teflon. we have not been able to buy these from the mfger since 2001. You can buy.003 paper or .004 Teflon material. This case gasket provided a case seal & Cleareance for the Rotor & rod. they are required in my opinon. A quality Blue tooth vinyl cutter will make these gaskets perfectly.....If you need some drop me a line. The teflon gaskets last a life time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like i may be asking Charles questions from now on! i like his style!!when i rode motorcycles there was an old saying $2 helmets equal $2 heads!! Like my dad said if your doing a job DO IT PROPERLY!!

Back