efficiency

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

androdz

Hello Its me again!!!

This is for a villain EX. So far I bought the water cooling kit from traxxas for twin motors. Im about to buy the prop package from steve with the shafts. Do i need to upgrade the battery connectors or anything else to make it more efficient? Do i need another water pick up or not? anything else that i can put to make it better/faster/efficient? thanks ! Also which is better Deans or Sermos??

I was surprised at the difference good connections made. :blink:

My advice? Use BIG wire (12 ga), keep it as short as possible, solder what you can, and use good connectors on what you can't.

I like Deans connectors...never used Sermos.

If you're feeling particularly creative, cool the brush hoods!

You'll find that there is pretty much a split on opinion between Sermos and Deans connectors.

You aren't going to be able to see a performance difference if you tried both of them.

Sermos are somewhat more adaptable when using multiple-pack connections like a Y harness. Sermos might be slightly easier to solder onto, being a little larger.

I prefer the Deans because they are smaller size. I went totally Deans a couple of years ago.

KW

Does everyone know that there is a better Anderson (sermos)? Most are rated 30 amps (yes they do more for a short period) We have 45's, which are much better than 30's (sermos) with a better contact.

Anderson is Sermos by the way.

The 30 and 45 have the same housing, just a different contact inside.

thanks

Steve

Here is a little simpler way to do it. Man look at how much dust is on that motor and it has been sitting in a closet. That thing is 10+ yrs. old. Pyschotic Reaction One of the best fixed endbell motors they made. I think it had a 16T arm in it. Might be wrong though. It has been 10 yrs. since I last raced electrics. Maybe a 17T. Not sure. Won Nats 12 cell stock outboard every year with one of those running through a 3/1 geared K&B foot. I think I even have a brand new one around here somewhere.

Mike

PS Oh yeah I used Deans 4 pin connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, a little bit of dust there. :D

That 4-pin connector would be nearly vaporized by a real hot motor/controller combo, nowadays. Way too small of a contact area, even using two pins for each wire.

KW

Yeah I know, but for a stock 05 not going to be a problem. They best connector of the day was the Astro. It was way to pricey. The deans and sermos work about the best for the price.

Mike

PS I just build the boats for Dick Crowe and let him do all the hot set ups.

I used AstroFlights before switching to Deans. The Astros were very pricey and they tended to wear out too quickly. The prongs or teeth (or whatever they are called) in the female end wear out and loosen their grip.

The 4 pin will work with an 05 but, it will impact performance (even running stock motors). Good, fat wires and large contact area in the connectors will noticeably improve the speed.

KW

SOLDER THEM ON IS THE BEST. We use to race 1/10 buggies that way. Zero loss. But it meant you had to have 120V for the solder iron.

Mike

Radio Shack sells a 12V soldering iron, or you can get a cheap 200W 12V/120V inverter for like $50 at Wally-World

well I dont have a Wally-World here in Puerto Rico, I guess ill check ebay because Radio Shack sells Cheap Producs for a lot of $.

You don't need a 12V soldering iron or an inverter. Just pick a brand of connector and go with it.

It's a Villian, not a Larry Larson record-holding SAW boat. :)

Enjoy.

KW

Back