DUMAS SPONSON BOTTOMS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

I just can't stand the way the sponson ride pads are put on the bottom of the Dumas sponsons. I am at that point with my 82 Atlas Van Lines. Is there a mod for this that doesn't make the boat look so crappy. If I take my time and am very careful can they be blended in nicely. OK, OK, I know most of you guys dislike the Dumas boats, but since this is my first build I figured I'd start with this kit. Go easy on the novice now. LOL. Provide pics if you have any. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't stand the way the sponson ride pads are put on the bottom of the Dumas sponsons. I am at that point with my 82 Atlas Van Lines. Is there a mod for this that doesn't make the boat look so crappy. If I take my time and am very careful can they be blended in nicely. OK, OK, I know most of you guys dislike the Dumas boats, but since this is my first build I figured I'd start with this kit. Go easy on the novice now. LOL. Provide pics if you have any. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dont put em on! If you already have, sand em off! The sponsons are already too deep....the isuue with Dumas hydros is they pack alot of air under the hull and they they tend to ride kinda tail heavy, which makes them tend to blow off the water....i enjoyed building and running Dumas boats, but they are very old school compared to todays boats! :)

Hi Bill, no I haven't put them on. Will the sponsons without the ride pads be beefy enough, or should I put in some reinforcing on the inside. Mark.

Hi Bill, no I haven't put them on. Will the sponsons without the ride pads be beefy enough, or should I put in some reinforcing on the inside. Mark.
the on mod I did on my dumas sport40 eagle was know down the front helper pad. it sat way to low/to steep.

Dont put em on! If you already have, sand em off! The sponsons are already too deep....the isuue with Dumas hydros is they pack alot of air under the hull and they they tend to ride kinda tail heavy, which makes them tend to blow off the water....i enjoyed building and running Dumas boats, but they are very old school compared to todays boats! :)

Bill's right- leave em off. If you havent built the bottom/transom yet leave the divot in the center in the center of the transom out too-makes it impossable to run the exh. thru the transom or use good hardware(speedmaster rudder). If you want it to look good and be legal you must use a side radio box and keep the pipe under the cowl.

I did leave the divot out of the bottom at the transom as Bill Gibson had warned me of this earlier in my build. Thanks and keep the Dumas enhancements coming. Thanks Again.

How scale do you want the sponson bottoms to be? I took some measurements off of the boat at the last R/C Hydro show at the HARM if you're interested. The sponson frames, as drawn on the Newton plans, are very close to the full sized boat.

Here is what I did. But she's kinda a shelf Queen.
f3dn6g.jpg

Here's what the Newton sponson frames look like, though to make them work will take some reworking

110606-000435.jpg

Back