DUMAS 7.5 ABS hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOTOboat

What are you opinions on this hull. I saw one with a 3.5 K&B, radio (Futaba) and a starter got on eBay recently for ~400. I wondered why the hull went for so much with a 3.5 on it. It was pretty, but would it perform?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Are ABS hulls good for sport running with Nitro? Or that money is one better to get a wood hull, and just build it your self. I see a number of ABS hulls targeting Nito 3.5 and 7.5.

Would a sport runner really notice the difference? DUMAS has the 7.5 Tunnel on for 160.00

Electric Tunnel guy just purchased a 7.5 K&B and thinking what would be a good first 7.5 Tunnel. I'm not sure I have the spacer to build a tunnel from scratch over the winter, would like to but space and time are a real premium. Refreshing the 7.5, Rigging and Setup will probally consume avalable time.

Much Approacited

MOTOboat

I designed all the Dumas 7.5 hulls and I don't remember the cowling looking like that at the back. The boat looks small for a 7.5 because the engine seems to be sized correctly for a smaller hull.

For sport running, ABS hulls are fine. Performance can be improved by adding a piece of 1/16" plywood to the bottom of the sponsons to create sharp edges. In my opinion, the wood kit Dumas 7.5 Sprint is a better boat than the ABS version. But, it would need to assembled and painted.

JD

I designed all the Dumas 7.5 hulls and I don't remember the cowling looking like that at the back. The boat looks small for a 7.5 because the engine seems to be sized correctly for a smaller hull.

For sport running, ABS hulls are fine. Performance can be improved by adding a piece of 1/16" plywood to the bottom of the sponsons to create sharp edges. In my opinion, the wood kit Dumas 7.5 Sprint is a better boat than the ABS version. But, it would need to assembled and painted.

JD
Thanks Jerry

Since your the guy... :)

WOF vs Dumas kit what are the trade offs ?? .. the WOF looks a little more difficult to build and being a full size boat guy, foam always bothers me due to it retaing water over time.

Wood F1 tunnels use sealed chambers rather than floatation for that reason.

MOTOboat

The Dumas 7.5 Sprint wood kit would probably be easier to build if you have not done any previous WOF construction.

Since I'm still receiving royality payments on this boat, by all means purchase one!! :)

JD

The 7.5 abs can be modified to run very well. Jerry if you remember Eric won the Nats with the one I redid at Tacoma. Both the wood and abs versions require a little attention on the bottoms to really perform, but they will run very well. The abs over time did break down from the fuel, but we run our boats very hard. For sport use with a little care they will live a long time.

Man, I knew my memory was getting poor but I sure don't remember the 7.5 ABS Dumas I ran at the 94 nats in Tacoma looking anything like that boat listed on e-bay. I think it is listed wrong.

Back