Dumas 18" U-71 Atlas van lines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.West

Just needs to be clearcoated and install hardware and it should be ready to lay down some buzz down at the pond....I say buzz cause its going to be powered by a Cox baby-bee .049! Its going to have rudder control only. I chose a Futaba mini R152JE reciever and one Cox mini servo. together they weigh .12 grams. But I just wanted to show it off here.....Thanks for looking!

Just needs to be clearcoated and install hardware and it should be ready to lay down some buzz down at the pond....I say buzz cause its going to be powered by a Cox baby-bee .049! Its going to have rudder control only. I chose a Futaba mini R152JE reciever and one Cox mini servo. together they weigh .12 grams. But I just wanted to show it off here.....Thanks for looking!

Man! Thats too cool! Nice job! Brings back alot of memories! :)

Man! Thats too cool! Nice job! Brings back alot of memories! :)
That is way cool-

how much trouble could Kaytlin get in with one Bill/Tom ???

what flywheel and collet are you using? do you have any pictures of how you did the shaft for the collet. i was thinking of a threaded rod with a flat spot and a pinch type FE collet to 098 flex. what size props can you pull with 049? i am in the process of building a JAE .049 rigger. right now i have a pull start on it but it is way to big. also wanted to know if you have tried this rudder only control before? i have one of the exhaust throtles i was thinking of using but havent decided yet. your build is way cool and inspires me to take mine back off the shelf and give it a little attention.

one more question, what fuel are you using in the 049's

if you have any extra flywheel/collets you want to sell i would but it.

thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
what flywheel and collet are you using? do you have any pictures of how you did the shaft for the collet. i was thinking of a threaded rod with a flat spot and a pinch type FE collet to 098 flex. what size props can you pull with 049? i am in the process of building a JAE .049 rigger. right now i have a pull start on it but it is way to big. also wanted to know if you have tried this rudder only control before? i have one of the exhaust throtles i was thinking of using but havent decided yet. your build is way cool and inspires me to take mine back off the shelf and give it a little attention.

one more question, what fuel are you using in the 049's

if you have any extra flywheel/collets you want to sell i would but it.

thanks for the help
When you get it done are you goung to post any pics? I would love to see it.

Hi Guys!

Hey thank you so much for your comments. :) I didnt realize that there was any real interests. Check out this link over on rcuniverse My link

Also check out this one. My link

Tons of valuable information regarding these small Dumas Cox powered boats.

I making a wire drive for my boat, I was thinking about using .098 flex cable & felt it was too heavy. I made the wire drive by using k&s .062 wire, 1/8 X .028 wall SS tube, a few lock collars and a octura drive dog....I found out that the wire drive practally has no resistance in this particular setup when compared to the .098 cable....The Cox engines dont produce much torque and I know the old school way of coupling these is by using silicon fuel line tubing instead of a universal. I forgotten his name, but I emailed Offshore electrics and they refered me to a gentleman who was happy to make the couplers for me...They are threaded 5-40 one side and 1/8 for the driveshaft....The flywheels I got from Dumas. Dumas still makes a few small 18" boats designed for Cox .049 engines & the hardware for them, however there are so much micro gear alvaiable now than before, finding small running gear shouldnt be difficult. Dumas makes a 1" brass prop and plastic ones also, maybe a octura X427, I do have a few black plastic 27mm props that I'l try...The only thing hurting these boats performance is the lack of a good prop selection.

I'm shooting for around 20 mph or so, I had to change the angle of the driveshaft and move it towards the transon. The stock reconmended shaft setup came from a different era...

The fuel I'm planning on using, I do have a can of Cox fuel laying around that never been opened, it might still work however Tower Hobbies sells 1/2A fuel....You can find 1/2A fuel also on ebay.

I'm also working on a 18" Dumas Miss Thriftway. The decals that came with it are also very old & fragile, so instead I came up with my own retro style paint job inspired by Gordon johncock's '82 STP Wildcat, which I thought was one of the coolest Indy paint jobs at the time...

I'm always open for painting suggestions though...

with the increased price of boat nitro you guy's and others i've seen... are establishing a trend! that is a cute little boat!... that u-71 was the first boat i built, I have a Wen mac mark II .049 and i had just said to my son would it be cute to build a small hydro to fit that motor... is that hull Balsa?

Hi Guys!

Hey thank you so much for your comments. :) I didnt realize that there was any real interests. Check out this link over on rcuniverse My link

I making a wire drive for my boat, I was thinking about using .098 flex cable & felt it was too heavy. I made the wire drive by using k&s .062 wire, 1/8 X .028 wall SS tube, a few lock collars and a octura drive dog....I found out that the wire drive practally has no resistance in this particular setup when compared to the .098 cable....The Cox engines dont produce much torque and I know the old school way of coupling these is by using silicon fuel line tubing instead of a universal. I forgotten his name, but I emailed Offshore electrics and they refered me to a gentleman who was happy to make the couplers for me...They are threaded 5-40 one side and 1/8 for the driveshaft....The flywheels I got from Dumas. Dumas still makes a few small 18" boats designed for Cox .049 engines & the hardware for them, however there are so much micro gear alvaiable now than before, finding small running gear shouldnt be difficult. Dumas makes a 1" brass prop and plastic ones also, maybe a octura X427, I do have a few black plastic 27mm props that I'l try...The only thing hurting these boats performance is the lack of a good prop selection.

I'm shooting for around 20 mph or so, I had to change the angle of the driveshaft and move it towards the transon. The stock reconmended shaft setup came from a different era...

The fuel I'm planning on using, I do have a can of Cox fuel laying around that never been opened, it might still work however Tower Hobbies sells 1/2A fuel....You can find 1/2A fuel also on ebay.

I'm also working on a 18" Dumas Miss Thriftway. The decals that came with it are also very old & fragile, so instead I came up with my own retro style paint job inspired by Gordon johncock's '82 STP Wildcat, which I thought was one of the coolest Indy paint jobs at the time...

Hey RJ! Ive got a Thriftway somewhere down in my cave that i built like 35 years ago...if i can find it and its not termite dust, ill post a pic...may not be pretty but its a Thriftway! Now i gotta see if ive got the Original Dumas hardware kit for it....would love to find an 049 size U-71 kit and a 40 size kit too....ya know....i think ive got a NIB K&B 40 Marine side Exhaust engine buried somewhere...LOOK WHAT YOU STARTED! :lol: :lol:

Hi Guys!

Hey RJ! Ive got a Thriftway somewhere down in my cave that i built like 35 years ago...if i can find it and its not termite dust, ill post a pic...may not be pretty but its a Thriftway! Now i gotta see if ive got the Original Dumas hardware kit for it....would love to find an 049 size U-71 kit and a 40 size kit too....ya know....i think ive got a NIB K&B 40 Marine side Exhaust engine buried somewhere...LOOK WHAT YOU STARTED! :lol: :lol:
I have an AVL here with a Cox Black widow in it. I used the Dumas 1/8th inch shaft, Cool clamp etc etc Got a Thriftway too.. LOL... Fuji .19 powered jg prop and all. Funny stuff. :)

Hi Guys!

I have an AVL here with a Cox Black widow in it. I used the Dumas 1/8th inch shaft, Cool clamp etc etc Got a Thriftway too.. LOL... Fuji .19 powered jg prop and all. Funny stuff. :)
Me too on the Thriftway Too!(kit) And a Miss Unlimited kit! Norm, i will NEVER live long enough to build all the boats that i want to build! :lol:

Hey big al,

No this one is entirely built from mahagony! 1/16 mahagony frames & skins...I sealed the inside by brushing on several coats of 50/50 mix 30min epoxy & 91% alcohol. And I did the same on the outside of the hull except I sanded between coats and built it up till it was smooth. I was going to put in a Cox Tee-dee .051 that i had which would enhance performance, but for simplicity I went ahead with a baby bee. Dumas reconmended using a tank mount for use with the Tee-dee engine. I can easily change engines however. During the build, I installed two 6-32 T-nuts on the inside of the bulkhead where the 1/8 plywood engine mount would then screw onto, making cleaning & maintaince easier. I can then easily make another engine mount for use with a different engine, such as a TeeDee. I cant use the mount that I have now because If I use a Cox tank mount the universal would be up against the rear of the engine well, so it would be the same design however the angled mounting blocks would be about 1/8 shorter to allow clearance. Its a cool build, I even made cutouts to lighten her up...Just like the big boys. :lol:

Hey Bill guess what. I have a new in box dumas Atlas van lines U-71 sport 40....And a NIB k&b .40 marine thats going to be my next project! B)

Hi Guys!

Wanna sell it Norm ????

Im thinking me and Kaytlin would have a hoot with one of these ;)

Hi Guys!

Wanna sell it Norm ????

Im thinking me and Kaytlin would have a hoot with one of these ;)
I am not sure they will even fire. Engines are gummed up pretty good.

Back